Talk

Advanced search

night terrors - any explanation?!

(3 Posts)
YouCantTeuchThis Fri 16-Oct-09 16:59:16

I ask because I have noticed a peculiar pattern to DS1 (3.10) sleeping/night wakening habits.

It tends to be cyclical; he can be fine for a month or so, then when they start they go on for between 3 and 10 days.

When I check him before going to bed, I sometimes sneak a wee kiss, and always feel his temperature, as he is a sweaty sleeper.

On the nights he has nigt terrors, I notice a pungent body odour and/or strong breath that is not present on the other nights I check him hmm

I thought that this could be dehydration? It doesn't necessarily happen when his room is too warm, or him for that matter.

Just curious...

Blu Fri 16-Oct-09 17:03:06

DS had night terrors when he was feverish or over-tired or ill. Is the smell that infected sinuses catarrh-y smell?

I would check with the GP, I think, and describe the smell.

anonymous85 Wed 28-Oct-09 14:33:40

I had them as a child and it was whenever I had a temp. I'd wake up screaming and screaming and there was no way of snapping me out of it, and I wouldn't remember it happening when I finally woke up - snapped out of it. Excpet one time I remember feeling really really overwhelmed and there were number and graphs getting bigger and bigger and I felt overwhelmed by it all. Weird. I grew out of them - thank goodness! I remember my mum having to see my teacher and telling her all about it incase I fell asleep in class.

My DD has had a couple crying ones which I believe are like terrors, and it would go for ages - I remember timing one and it was 40 mins, continual crying and crying that would not stop - so draining. I did find with her last one singing softly helped. And I have tried clicking quietly like in a slow one and two... to try and get her to concentrate on the sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now