Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only mother with an 11 month old that dosnt sleep through?

(22 Posts)
hayleybop Mon 12-Oct-09 19:33:49

Yawn yawn yarn.....My dd2 has slept through about twice...whoop whoop....Is anyone in the same boat?

princessmel Mon 12-Oct-09 19:36:24

Not right now but dd and ds didn't sleep through till they were 2 ish. dc3 due any day and I predict the same....

Ignore mummys who boast about their sleeping babies. It's not a competition.

sazlocks Mon 12-Oct-09 19:44:26

mine didn't sleep through til he was gone 12 months.................

TheMissingLink Mon 12-Oct-09 19:45:21

My 2.5yr old has never slept through.

MamaChris Mon 12-Oct-09 19:45:51

um, ds is 20 months, and has slept through less than 10 times in his life, I'd say. none of them before 12 months, so your dd2 is well ahead!

Montifer Mon 12-Oct-09 19:48:52

DS is 16 months and has slept through 4 times.
I'm usually reassured by threads like these and wait patiently for the undisturbed nights.

I also wonder how long it takes after they do start sleeping through, for you to stop waking and wondering why aren't they awake yet at 4am!

trixymalixy Mon 12-Oct-09 19:49:03

DS was 18 months before he slept through!!

GwarchodwrPlant Mon 12-Oct-09 19:53:53

DS is now 12mths old and has just started sleeping in his own cot and nearly sleeping through because we weren't getting any sleep when he was in with us. The first few nights were awful but we just let him cry it out and to be honest he didn't cry for very long but did wake up and cry about 4 times during the night. The second night he woke about about 3 times and the last night he only woke up once and hardly cried at all when we put him down.

It's the best thing we did even though letting him cry was so hard to begin with but he just needed to learn to get himself back off to sleep without me and without a feed. Now I just leave a sippy cup of water in his cot with him as I'd hate the thought of him being thirsty and if he does wake up I will go in and give him a quick kiss, say goodnight and walk back out again.

It works! It really works! And he is not damaged or traumatised in any way. We get a decent nights sleep and so does he!

Wait until he is a year old then try the above. It might be the only way.

LeonieBooCreepy Mon 12-Oct-09 20:11:39

Message withdrawn

MinkyBorage Mon 12-Oct-09 20:13:54

dd1 was 14 months and dd2 was 12 months when they started sleeping through.

DS 6 months and I'm beginnign to get a little fed up his genetic sleeplessness

daisydora Mon 12-Oct-09 20:19:00

DS is 11 months at the end of October. He has no plans to sleep through....in fact he has very few plans to sleep - end of!

hayleybop Mon 12-Oct-09 20:53:29

Wow thanks for all your replys, reasurring to know that I'm not the only one out there who is shattered all the time. My DD1 was sleeping through at nine months so thought DD2 would be, but I am a bit lazy second time and still feed in the night. I am planning to stop breast feeding in a couple of weeks so hopefully that will change everything...
People who have babies that sleep through from early on dont know they are born ...It's half the battle. If my babies slept through early i would have lots of them but no more for me as the no sleep thing is a killer...I love my sleep but Sleep is for the weak.

daisydora Mon 12-Oct-09 20:56:43

hayleybop DS actually started sleeping worse when i stopped BF!! Formula & food = sleeping through is a bloody urban mythgrin

ches Tue 13-Oct-09 03:23:30

DS is just night weaned and it has made no difference to his myriad night wakings. But then he is 2.7. hmm At least now I don't have to feed him I just pull him in tight and go back to sleep.

Knickers0nMaHead Tue 13-Oct-09 06:14:51

ds is 11mo and never slept through, which was a big shock after dd sleeping through from 6weeks!

MissWooWoo Tue 13-Oct-09 16:28:26

dd is 2.4 and I can count the times she has slept through on one hand.

She is better when she sleeps in with me but even then she'll generally wakes up at least once a night.

It's tough sometimes isn't it, especially when you've had a run of particularly bad nights?

hayleybop Tue 13-Oct-09 19:42:42

Oh yes it's tough, even tougher when you have to get up for two. I have started night weaning a few weeks ago and the situation was improving, only waking once when she used to wake up 3-4 times a night, however illness struck our household and I did anything for a decent nights sleep. Started again last night, fed her at 5.30am...
So hopefully things will get better soon.
Big ups to all you hardcore women with babies/toddlers who dont sleep through....If we can get through this we can accomplish anything....one day they will sleep through.wink.

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 15-Oct-09 09:27:16

My DD started sleeping through approx 18months. DS is 12 months and at the moment I would happily settle for waking 4 times a night (8 last night).
DD is now an excellent sleeper and just slept in until 9am today.

Pinkjenny Thu 15-Oct-09 09:34:56

Of course not, my 2.5yo has never slept through. <slits wrists>

Rycie Thu 15-Oct-09 13:16:21

Chewytoffee I seem to be in a similar boat - my dd turns 1 at the end of this month and is often waking hourly. Have tried everything. Honestly.

Don't have any advice at all, but it is such a relief to see that I'm not alone - ALL of my friends' children are sleepers.

tinierclanger Thu 15-Oct-09 13:27:09

God no, DS is 15 months and only started sleeping through about 2-3 months ago, and 'sleeping through' still means waking at 5 or 5.30!

gorionine Thu 15-Oct-09 13:33:43

Nope, DD4 is almost 3 and does not sleep through! None of her siblings did until they started nursery. They do get there eventually but it is hard!

TheChewieToffeeMum, I sympathise, until last january I was still BF her and she would wake me up every 20 minutes on the dot! I got so used to sleep deprivation that when she stopped BF and only woke up 3/4 times in the night my internal clock went all wrong and it actually took me months to feeel human again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now