Talk

Advanced search

is it dangerous for DD to sleep on her side sometimes?

(21 Posts)
olivo Thu 08-Oct-09 15:44:41

i know the advice is to sleep on their backs but is it really dangerous for babies to sleep on their side sometimes? DD is 7 weeks and at night after feeding, she drops off and sometimes, i am too dozy to roll her ono her back. she also sleeps on her side sometimes during the day, when we are at home tofther. she has reflux and seems more comfortable. also, when she vomits, it's less likely to choke her and come through her nose.

is it really unsafe?

SpawnChorus Thu 08-Oct-09 15:51:21

I've been wondering this too...DS2 is only 2 weeks old and I keep forgetting to roll him back again after night feeds.

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 15:53:03

i let dd sleep on her side during the day when I'm awake and nearby
are you co sleeping? don't think it's bad then (and as you say it's inevitable sometimes!!) but I don't know for sure. Same here though, so I'll watch with interest

olivo Thu 08-Oct-09 15:57:09

yes, we are cosleeping. started out just putting her in my bed for the 5a.mish feed, but now have decided it's easier until she is ready for a cot.

i got 4 1/2 hrs sleep last night while she was on her side!

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:00:28

4 1/2 solid sleep? Or altogether
I had a really good night last night too - DD was up at 2 for a nappy change and a quick feed and then 5ish I think for a feed and then DS woke me at 6.30ish - both had been asleep since 8pm!!

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:01:18

oh no that's a lie, actually I woke DD about 10/11ish for a nappy change and feed!
See -the amnesia's a blessing in disguise as I just don't remember how much I was up!

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:02:44

When co-sleeping babies often sleep on their sides as that is how you both fall asleep while feeding. You know the SIDS guidelines and the rate of SIDS has dropped a lot since the guidelines came in but there are other factors (smoking for example) and just because your baby isn't sleeping on their back doesn't mean they will automatically die.

To be honest nobody can tell you what to do, you can only look at the guidelines and the risks and make your own choices based on the information you have.

Dd slept on her front, still does. I tried and tried to get her to sleep on her back but she wouldn't (and I mean really, seriously wouldn't) so I gave up and let her sleep on her front. I decided that since she was low risk in pretty much every other way I was happy with that.

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:04:43

I am going to ignore the both of you. I'm still waiting for a good stretch of sleep!

SPB is the girl asleep? You seem to be on every thread I look at right now! Did she look cute in the dungarees?

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:05:28

hijack - Indith, T loved the dungarees too, I caught him trying them on

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:07:08

Oh bless Ds keeps trying ot get dd's clothes too, anything that isn't obviously pink and girly he thinks might belong to him grin He has a point though, most things non pink and girly used to belong to him.

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:08:24

she's just woken up and is having her...foursies!
yes, she sleeps most of the day, but i promise I've been busy in between MNing - come & inspect if you like (off out in half an hour tho!)
Not tried them on her yet, as I have to admit I don't 'dress' her, just change her vest & sleepsuit when she wees or poos on them (or every day if it goes that long)! Thinking that might have to change or she'll never wear any of the clothes

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:11:16

Nothing wrong with sleepsuits for a few months yet!

I'm off to wake dd I think, been napping since 2 and I'll never get her to bed if I don't get her up!

I have not been busy so please do not come see my kitchen!

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:13:08

Napping on her front of course <tries to make post relevent to the thread> <apologises to olivo>

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:15:22

no nothing wrong except she'll have outgrown all the clothes!!
she's not even a vomitey baby (luckily) so once she stops the continual pooing I'll never have an excuse to change her

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:29:03

What is this stopping continual pooing of which you speak?

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 16:31:45

yesterday for example:
wake up
nappy change
feed
nappy change
new nappy as pooed while changing it
quick shower (me)
nappy change
new nappy as weed on new one
T nappy change
mum arrives, cuddles A "does she need a nappy change?"
etc...until sleep time

she is growing out of this though

SpawnChorus Thu 08-Oct-09 16:40:41

lol stealth grin

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 16:43:47

grin

olivo Thu 08-Oct-09 17:48:11

and here i thought i had an extra 10 messages of advice <sigh>
grin

Indith Thu 08-Oct-09 17:49:36

<slinks off with tail between legs>

olivo Thu 08-Oct-09 19:44:18

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now