Talk

Advanced search

15 month old waking in the night for over 2 hours!

(4 Posts)
inscotland Tue 06-Oct-09 06:50:46

This is driving us nuts. DS who is 15 months old has started to wake up in the night usually between midnight and 3 am for around 2 hours. This has been going on for around 2 months now but its getting worse and worse. To begin with he'd waken only for around half an hour and be off to sleep again but progressively we've got to the 2 hour mark - midnight until 2.10 am last night.

We keep him in the dark with no eye contact and no talking but he just fidgets, sits up, rolls over, kicks out, pulls hair and cries lots. He's knackered as he still wakes between 6 and 6.30 every morning for the day.

Hubby has had enough as he works and is doing a college course and it is really getting me down too.

Anyone been through anything similar or do you have any suggestions?

Depending on how tired he is he will usually have 2 hours sleep over lunchtime but if he's bad then mid morning he will have 1.5 hours with 30 minutes in the buggy pm.

We've co slept and had him in his own bed. Controlled crying does not work and won't be trying that again as it was way too stressful.

NobbyD Tue 06-Oct-09 16:47:07

Is he teething? Molers?

My ds also 15months doesn't sleep too well., He's started waking at 10pm and will be awake for an hour or so - I resort to milk as nothing else gets him to sleep. He will sleep on me if I'm standing up (God Forbid I try to lie down with him lol), but as soon as I put him down he'll scream.

He has been teething for AGES. 4 molers and now the K9s coming through so am hoping after that it will settle.

Check its teething then maybe try calpol and/or nurofen?

JoandMax Tue 06-Oct-09 19:49:01

You have my sympathy as we are going through this with my 15 month old too!

He is happy as anything during the day so I had ruled out teething but was brushing his teeth a couple of days ago and saw a big molar sticking through! His gums are all lumpy at the back so I am guessing this is the cause.

We also tried control crying but I hated it and it didn't work. We have been trying a much more gradual approach which is improving things, albeit slowly...... I now hold him in his room for 10 minutes then put in his cot and rub his back, then sit on the floor next to his cot until he's asleep. He stays very calm this way and although he is still waking up in the night it has gone down from 2 hours + to 45 minutes last night.

I have given him nurofen which does help but he still wakes for a while.

It seems that unfortunately some babies just go through this, only other soluton I have is a strong cup of tea with lots of sugar first thing!

Montifer Tue 06-Oct-09 20:49:43

We had a party last night too from 0215 'til 0400!

Also think teeth are to blame.
DS (16months) always wakes at least once but usually goes back off to sleep with bf but it's taking milk plus paracetamol or ibuprofen to get him settled at the moment.

I keep reminding myself it's a phase and one day I'll get a full nights sleep again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now