Talk

Advanced search

Why does he wake every hour from 3am?

(8 Posts)
dycey Tue 06-Oct-09 05:37:23

Any ideas? I am getting exhausted (like everyone is) but would like to know why DS wakes at all hours of the early morning...

He is nearly 8 months - still wants at least two night feeds. Goes to sleep in his bed himself but from 3am he wakes all the time - cries for a loud while and goes back to sleep.

Last night he fed at 10pm, 2am and then woke hourly from 3am - getting up at 5am...

V tired and for some reason it would help to know why all this waking and crying loudly. Thank you for your ideas

TanteRose Tue 06-Oct-09 05:52:02

Could be loads of reasons (hunger, thirst, development, lonely, wants his mummy, wants a cuddle, not sleepy...!) or no discernable reason. Could you bring him into your bed at 3 so you can both go back to sleep for a couple more hours?
He won't always do this - next, it will be sleeping through, but waking at some ungodly hour, like 4:30 and be ready to start his day...(sorry...grin)

seriously though, being exhausted is no fun - don't worry about "bad habits" - just find a way to get more sleep. Oh and two feeds a night is nothing out of the ordinary. He is a growing boy, he most probably needs it.

dycey Tue 06-Oct-09 06:00:29

Thanks TanteRose - have tried that but he still wakes in exactly the same way and me being next to him doesn't seem to help. I used to rock him back to sleep but now I find a hand on his tummy takes the same time and is less tiring for me (he is huge).

Not too worried about the night feeds - but the very broken nights are wearing and work looms.... won't be able to function as I depend on sleeping when he naps at the mo.

It's been a long time without sleep....

MaMight Tue 06-Oct-09 06:04:27

Is he cold? Both mine have done perplexing waking that has been solved by an extra layer in their cot.

TanteRose Tue 06-Oct-09 06:08:44

sad its draining isn't it?
Can you go to bed any earlier? Or are you already going to sleep when he does at night?
I promise, it won't last forever - just feels like it at the time, I know grin
do you have a DP who can try to settle him at 3am?

pippa251 Wed 07-Oct-09 12:10:07

I aggree with MaMight- My dd use to wake at 3 then 4 then 5 and has now started to sleep through due to an extra layer.

ches Thu 08-Oct-09 02:06:10

Do you change his nappy in the night? I'm sure it's quite minging by 3am after two feeds and one at bedtime.

TrippleBerryFairy Thu 08-Oct-09 22:50:29

Agree with all those mentioning he might be cold as for some strange reason quite often I find myself waking up and shivering in those early hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now