Talk

Advanced search

calling anyone who used white noise to calm their NB...

(10 Posts)
FSB Mon 05-Oct-09 13:32:07

did they grow out of needing the help? my 11 week old DD is addicted to the hairdryer. it's the only thing that calms her down when she's really upset/ over-tired or gets her to sleep when she's fussy. firstly i'm worried that the hairdryer is going to break (which would be a disaster) but i'm also worried that she's never going to be able to get herself to sleep without it... did your kids stop needing the white noise, and at what age?

deepdarkwood Mon 05-Oct-09 13:35:52

It's a while ago, so I can't remember how long it took, but white noise certainly used to settle ds - he's now 5, and needs Fantastic Mr Fox instead smile It just got less effective as he set up other sleep clues (slowly, but that's a totally unrelated story smile)

I would think about getting a radio tuned to white noise though, rather than a hairdryer - feels like a safer option.

cleanandclothed Mon 05-Oct-09 13:37:43

Yes. We actually made a CD of hairdryer noise (to save electricity and the hairdryer) which lasted an hour (!) getting quiter over the whole time. Got the noise from an internet download. We used it until DS was 6 months, when he started to be happy with music. Even now (1 yr) sometimes if he is really stressed then saying aahhhhhh in a sort of white noise drone is sometimes the best way to calm him down. So at 11 weeks I would say whatever works, don't worry about it!

Iklboo Mon 05-Oct-09 13:39:04

We got DS a CD with the sound of the sea with some nice relaxing music played over the top. He still likes it in now and he's 4 in November (but can & does go to sleep without it being on IYKWIM)

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 05-Oct-09 13:41:17

Yes, I used the "White Noise" app on my iPhone (ooh, get me wink) to soothe dd - she liked the rain, and the cat purring. She stopped liking robot kitty at about 5 months - but I still use the rain one with her now, at 7 months.

pollyperkins Mon 05-Oct-09 13:46:12

DD (now 2) grew out of liking white noise at about 5 months or so. Before then we used to listen to a whole lot of our Sleepy Head CD we bought (which has a full CD's worth of white noise on it). I remember one day when I just listened to that and nothing else would soothe her(she was v colic-y). Now though white noise scares her (she doesn't like hairdryers or the hoover) which seems a bit ironic to me - but anyway, ime, they grow out of it.

Rindercella Mon 05-Oct-09 13:46:29

Yes, DD did grow out of it! Can't remember exactly how old she was when she did, but she can't have been more than a few months (5/6?).

I used to feel such a fraud using white noise (radio static in my case) to get her off, and used to wonder if I was doing her some sort of damage blush {PFB alert]blush

I now realise that of course needs must and you have to do whatever you have to do to get some sleep smile

MegSophandEmma Mon 05-Oct-09 13:53:36

Mine still uses it now and shes two Her nightly saying is "CD on - Fan on" blush lol

ActivityApple Mon 05-Oct-09 13:59:05

Message withdrawn

FSB Mon 05-Oct-09 14:22:19

thanks guys - the cd option does sound like a good idea. we tried recording the hairdryer onto her baby monitor, but it's so loud, even on the quietest setting, that i worried it would damage her hearing! i like the idea of an hour long recording that gets gradually quieter... amazon here i come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now