Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

23 month old kicks his cot duvet off and I'm reluctant to go back to gro-bags ...

(14 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Mon 05-Oct-09 13:13:43

I wondered if anybody had any brainwaves? I'm going in from 4am onwards, when he gets cold.

I've tried putting sheet over top of duvet and tucking in that way.
I've put several 'layers' on him, they still get kicked off.

Is it safe to use a single bed duvet in a cot? I'm thinking it'll be wider, so will give him more wriggle room (cot duvet is only as wide as the cot).

We are considering moving him to a bed, but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks

Scorps Mon 05-Oct-09 13:16:11

here

I havent used that site, btw, just to show you.

Maveta Mon 05-Oct-09 13:17:00

My ds is 2.5 and in a bed and still kicks off all his covers. I am thinking this year we'll put him in a fleecy all in one sleepsuit or something. I tried a duvet last winter and he kicked it off just the same but anything is worth a shot!

NancyBotwin Mon 05-Oct-09 13:19:24

What I used to do was buy fleecy all-in-one sleepsuits (with feet on) and pop those on over the pyjamas. Not sure where you can buy them now as mine are past that stage but most places used to do them...

NancyBotwin Mon 05-Oct-09 13:19:50

Oooh snap maveta!

geordieminx Mon 05-Oct-09 13:21:28

Same here... was thinking of getting a single duvet and tucking it under the mattress?

Oh quick highjack - Maveta - wedding pics are on FB wink

Peetle Mon 05-Oct-09 13:28:00

That's exactly what we've done, geordieminx. I have 26 month old twins who kick off anything we put on them. We recently got two single duvets and put them on their cot-beds sideways, tucked right underneath the mattress - not too tightly mind you - which seems to do the trick.

We've tried taking the sides of the cots but then spent several nights picking them off the floor at regular intervals so they're still imprisoned for now.

My 5.5 yo is still in a gro baggrin

Nothing else keeps them as warm if they are active sleepers.

sheeplikessleep Mon 05-Oct-09 13:56:42

Oops, sorry, just did my 10 mins of housework today whilst DS was asleep, didn't expect such a quick flurry of responses!

Thank you loads, I'll go on the hunt for those fleecy sleepsuits, they sound fab. Also, I might buy his duvet now and try tucking it under his mattress.

I know gro-bags are probably worth buying, but it took about a week to 'wean' him off them earlier in the summer and now he is used to his duvet, I'd like him to keep totally used to that until we move him in his cot. But believe me, that's what I am repeating over to myself at 4.30am in the morning at the moment 'why the bloody hell didn't we buy bigger gro-bags!???!'

Thanks all for posting

Maveta Tue 06-Oct-09 16:38:38

quick hijack back - gmm I know! I saw - absolutely gorgeous, looks like you had a wonderful day. you were/ are beautiful bride smile sorry i haven´t posted on fb, it was playing silly buggers and not letting me but i did browse and was thinking of you in the lead up to/on the big day. Congratulations Mrs!

sorry again for hijack!

sheeplikessleep Wed 07-Oct-09 13:49:17

Thanks so much for the fleecy sleepsuit suggestion! DH bought him a Thomas one yesterday from ASDA (£9, compared to £16 in Mothercare!) and he only woke once at midnight (more teething I think) and then this morning, woke properly at 7am.
I feel like a new woman! Thanks

Rosa Wed 07-Oct-09 13:57:58

I have just bought the gro duvet set - pricey but it zips to the undersheet they have cot size and single bed size. So I am hoping that works .....

Wilben Wed 07-Oct-09 21:24:46

You can buy straps that attach to each side of the duvet and then go under the mattress to stop it being kicked off!! Worked well for me

feedthegoat Wed 07-Oct-09 21:33:59

Wilben - I got one of those straps (made from elastic) as I had the same problem with my ds.

He came straight upstairs and asked what it was and started to pull at the duvet whilst in the bed. This stretched the elastic up from under the mattress, surprisingly far too. He thought it was a great game to stretch and twang it whilst underneath it. I took it straight off as I don't think I could have slept for fear of him doing that and getting his neck caught. I may have been over reacting but it looked really unsafe with what he was doing with it.

I swapped to a single duvet on cot bed sideways and it worked a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now