Talk

Advanced search

16 months - too much sleep?

(15 Posts)
PDR Mon 05-Oct-09 11:33:26

My DS is 16 months now and he still sleeps all the time. Here is his regular routine:

7-8.30am: wake up
9-11am: nap
12pm: lunch
12.30/1pm-3-3.30pm: nap
6.30pm: bed

Never wakes before 7, 7.30am average and sleeps through. Sometimes goes to bed at 6pm and still sleeps through till 7am.

If I don't let him sleep then he is an absolute nightmare so he is definately tired. When I put him in the cot he snuggles down and closes his eyes before I have even left the room!

Is this normal?

It is making going out etc quite difficult as when he misses a nap he is really grouchy. We can never go out for a whole day as he gets too tired.

He won't nap in the buggy unless we are moving all the time. He does take short naps in the car but wakes as soon as you turn the engine off.

Anyone else had such a sleepy LO?

mrswill Mon 05-Oct-09 11:52:18

DD likes her sleep too, but has now dropped her afternoon sleep thank god. Staying in was not for me!

DD goes to bed 6.45pm and gets up 7.30 - 8.30am. She has a 2 hour sleep 10.30am -12.30pm.

We then go out and about. What ive done is that she has a 20min sleep in the afternoon while we're on our way back from wherever we've been, usually about 4ish. Otherwise we'd never get out!

PDR Mon 05-Oct-09 16:17:54

mrswill how old is your DD?

pispirispis Mon 05-Oct-09 22:32:26

Hi,

My 17 month old dd sleeps a lot and still has two naps. Her times are as follows:

Up - 8.30am
Morning nap - 10.30-12noon
Afternoon nap - 3-5pm
Bed - 8.30pm (our times are later as we live in Spain where everyone goes to bed later!)

She was sleeping through 12 full hours at a v young age and had 3 naps a day until she was 8 months old. She's always been a very well-rested child, and I've loved the peace and quiet, but like mrswill says, I'd like to get out more now!! I think she's going to drop the morning nap soon though, because it's more often only an hour, which is unusual for her. It used to be two 2 hour naps a day and 12 hours at night - a total of 16 hours! She doesn't sleep in the car or buggy either, but like I say, I've enjoyed the free time.

envy

Yes, this is normal - I have a friend with a Ds that has a similar pattern, and he is almost 2!

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 09:19:59

Thanks for the replies!

Today:-

Up: 8.15am
and had to put him back to bed at 8.45am as he was wailing and rubbing his eyes!

Ok, I will just enjoy the free time for now!!

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 10:57:48

He's still asleep..................

meep Tue 06-Oct-09 11:00:24

PDR my dd1 was exactly like your ds - then she grew out of her morning sleep - but still has a 2-3hour afternoon nap at 2.3yo! Enjoy it while you can.

Dd2 seems to be following the same pattern - she's been asleep since 9am and is only just starting to wake up now!

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 11:11:12

oh I am soooo glad I am not alone!

ppl in RL seem to think I am
a) lying
or
b) doing something wrong!

meep Tue 06-Oct-09 11:19:29

some babies need to sleep to sleep IYSWIM!

dd2 is stil napping............

people in real life are just jealous grin!

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 13:13:32

Thanks meep I went into him at 12 as I had gotten his lunch ready and he started to stir and looked pleased to see me

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 13:18:52

He has just gone back off for afternoon nap but not sure how long he will go for... definately tired tho as went into cot no fuss at all and closed his eyes....

mumcah Tue 06-Oct-09 15:00:00

As your son is sleeping all night I wouldn't worry.As soon as he starts to wake earlier or not want to go to bed then reduce some of the naps.
Better that way round than the other!

pispirispis Tue 06-Oct-09 16:18:25

It's not always all roses in the pispirispis household though. Dd has 16 teeth now and we've had loads of nights when she's been waking up screaming every few hours and going nuts when you put her to bed. Her eye teeth were a complete nightmare, and she got hand foot and mouth disease as well - 10 days of terrible sleep! But when she's not ill she's an amazing sleeper.

The thing is, at the minute her sleeping is all weird - over the past two weeks we've had screaming at bedtime, screaming at 4am nearly every night, difficulty with naps... I have no idea what's going on! I've been reading a bit about the 18 month sleep regression, so maybe it's that. She has been better over this last few days, but today she had a lot of trouble getting to sleep for her afternoon nap, so maybe she is ready to go down to one... Just prior to all this malarky (at 16 months) she was just like your lo, sleeping 16 hours a day, so beware!

PDR Tue 06-Oct-09 18:47:58

pispirispis ok maybe I need to make the most of it while it lasts!

Going to Longleat next Tue on a day trip with friends and already dreading the kicking and screaming!

DS now refuses to get in the buggy let alone sleep in it!

Hope you have a better night tonight! It must be a bit of a shock after having such a good sleeper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now