Talk

Advanced search

did anyone else find that co-sleeping wrecked their back?

(13 Posts)
stainesmassif Mon 05-Oct-09 07:24:15

i love having ds in the bed with me, but after 10 months i have a cricked neck, a sore throat (according to the osteo this is also due to blockages caused by cricked neck) stiff upper right arm, elbow, middle and lower back.

am i the only one? am i doing it wrong? or is this the price of cuddling the baby??

pollyperkins Mon 05-Oct-09 07:29:43

definitely not the only one - I've just woken up with a bad back having spent most of the night co-sleeping with my 2 yo DD. This happens pretty much every night we co-sleep and I think it's to do with how still I must lie when she's in bed but I don't know for sure. I'll be interested to see if anyone's got any good tips for avoiding the bad back (neck etc etc)

PoisonToadstool Mon 05-Oct-09 07:32:58

Yes. Do you turn over so you have your back to your DS at all? I didn't for a long time, but finally when I did it improved a bit. I think it was sticking to one position for so long.

PoisonToadstool Mon 05-Oct-09 07:33:28

I mean yes do 'did anyone else...' not yes you're doing it wrong!

PoisonToadstool Mon 05-Oct-09 07:33:47

yes to 'did anyone else...' [tired]

shazbean Mon 05-Oct-09 07:34:21

I was beginning to wonder - me too! I wake up every morning on the very edge of the bed with my head at what I would previously have assumed to be an impossible angle. No advice unfortunately - we are gonna try a single bed for DD soon (she is in a cotbed with a hard mattress) and when she comes to sleep with us -after about 1 hour in her own bed- she says ahh comfy and goes straight to sleep envy

stainesmassif Mon 05-Oct-09 07:36:34

it's definitely cause i lie too still. i woke this morning and my shoulder was in agony. but it was 5am and i knew if i moved, ds would wake - and not go back to sleep. in the end i chose sleep deprivation. i don't turn my back on him due to paranoia that he'll roll over and fall out. chances v slim!

FourArms Mon 05-Oct-09 07:47:55

I was the same! I also got lopsided boobs as I fed from one side all night. The paed also commented that DS2 had a slightly deformed head (flat), which I put down to always sleeping on the same side! shock

PoisonToadstool Mon 05-Oct-09 07:50:15

I can't remember how old DS was but eventually I put a bed guard on so I could turn over, I just ached to be on my other side. Or what about holding him to your chest and rolling over so he is on the other side?

stainesmassif Mon 05-Oct-09 08:58:28

i do swap sides halfway through the night, but haven't got a bed guard as i am in denial that one night soon ds will just magically sleep through in his cot without me having to night wean him or leave him to cry.....so obviously no need for a bed guard if that's going to happen!

marenmj Wed 07-Oct-09 10:18:22

Oh yes! Me!

I found it was because I didn't move with a little baby in bed with me. No moving around meant I was a sore camper.

I moved DD into her room for half the night when she was 6 months so I could get a few hours and now at 9 months she doesn't settle if I bring her to bed with me

MintyCane Wed 07-Oct-09 10:19:29

yes me - had to go to a physio

Arsed Wed 07-Oct-09 10:24:37

Me too I spent a fortune at the chiropractor

I get pains, pins and needles and a sore neck and jaw.

I don't enjoy co sleeping at all really.. Ds does though hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now