Talk

Advanced search

Waking every hour - 6 1/2 months....HELP!!!!!

(6 Posts)
murphmum Thu 01-Oct-09 15:47:46

My breast fed baby has never slept through the night, but it's now reached a point of just about to collapse with exhaustion...AGGHHH!!!!

For the last 2 weeks or so, he is waking up around every single one or two hours right through the night.

He won't sleep in his cot at all, and despite several attempts at controlled crying, he refuses to sleep until he's cuddled tightly in our bed. He eventually crashes out for about 3 hours @ 4am.

I've been weaning him for a month now, and he's happy with food/milk feeds as normal.

Tried the usual bedtime routine, massage, teething gel if needed. Bedtime is usually @ 6.30pm

Any suggestions/advice if poss?!!!

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 01-Oct-09 15:51:32

How much sleep does he have during the day?
Are you sure he's not teething?

wellbalanced Thu 01-Oct-09 16:31:19

Ah bless, Not much help but im the similar position but getting abit more sleep..
My bf DS is 5.5mth, he was sleeping though but not any more, up every 3hrs. Ive been feeding him as thought mayb hungry but thats prob wrong!
My little boy has little sleep in day, prob total of 2hrs..

iwantitnow Thu 01-Oct-09 20:22:04

My DD did the same at that age - we did gradual retreat (google it or buy the no cry sleep solution), with my DH going into see her it worked took a month to work and worked for 3 months and then never again. Resorted to CC at 12 months (generally not advised earlier) worked in 2 nights.

My DS also 6 months old -wakes every 4 hours, but not fed to sleep and has only slept through twice in his life. I'm at my wits end of what to do. I have a toddler to look after during the day but sleep when the baby sleeps if you can and it does make life easier.

It does feel like you are being tortured by your baby.

viennesewhirl Thu 01-Oct-09 20:38:12

Does he nap during the day?

Lishylooloo Thu 01-Oct-09 20:49:41

You poor thing - that's sleep deprivation at it's worst. the no cry sleep solution could help but I've heard it can take a long time to make it work. Sounds like you may not have the energy....

If you have the cash you might consider hiring a trouble shooter maternity nurse for a couple of days. I'll probably get criticised for suggesting this but I've known people who have done it and it's worked. If you're that sleep deprived it might be worth considering. The thing to keep in mind is that whatever routine/advice the maternity nurse gives you - if itworks you have to do it consistently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now