Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ditched the dummy at 11 months with success?

(6 Posts)
hayleybop Thu 01-Oct-09 08:16:14

DD2 started using a dummy at 9 months!!! I know thought it would improve her sleeps...It's great for nap times though...I want to ditch it for the evening as she wakes up crying if it has fallen out of her mouth...
Has anyone ditched it at this age and how many nights of crying for the dummy did it take?
I'm going to do it.....say that now but in the night is a different story when your very tired...and just want to sleep....

girlsyearapart Thu 01-Oct-09 08:33:53

wow that's late to start using one!

having said that my niece has recently become addicted to sucking her thumb at nearly 4..

my dd2 also has dummy she's just 1.

She only has it for sleep time.

Will let her have it for a bit longer I think though.

From other peoples experience I think it can take up to about 5 nights. But you have to stick to your guns majorly which will be hard.

hayleybop Thu 01-Oct-09 08:44:17

Yeah mine only has it for naps and bedtime but I'm sick of popping it back in her mouth when she wakes up....I put lots in the cot for her....5 nights hey....so lots of hard flipping work ahead then...DD1 never had one and was a brilliant sleeper by this age but they are all different.

sophus Thu 01-Oct-09 09:40:41

i ditched DS's at 9 1/2 months as he woke all through the night looking for it when it fell out. Took one night of yelling and he never asked for it again. it was great in the early days but i am soooo glad i ditched it when i did. made all the difference in the world.

hayleybop Thu 01-Oct-09 10:36:16

sophus that is so good to hear....going to try it tonight. Did you still use it for naps?

sophus Thu 01-Oct-09 12:03:43

nope, never used it again - he yelled for about 30 mins when he went to sleep then woke once in the night and yelled for a good long time, next night he slept through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now