Talk

Advanced search

When did you move your baby into their own room?

(60 Posts)
roseability Wed 30-Sep-09 21:15:30

Just wondering

sweetkitty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:18:02

DD1 15 months
DD2 12 months
DD3 12 months

think I am in the minority waiting that long

sfxmum Wed 30-Sep-09 21:22:31

she was 3yrs
am not really allowed in her room since unless she is ill

randomeuro Wed 30-Sep-09 21:23:15

13 months. I miss his little face and body sleeping in the cot next to me.

drowninginclutter Wed 30-Sep-09 21:24:18

DS is 16 months and we haven't quite got round to it yet...

CharCharGabor Wed 30-Sep-09 21:24:32

DD was just 2. She was a terrible sleeper up until then and I didn't want to have to walk across the landing blush

thisisyesterday Wed 30-Sep-09 21:24:34

ds1, 5 months
ds2 about a year (went to share with brother)
ds3 only 3 kmonths so still in with us

ThingOne Wed 30-Sep-09 21:28:27

DS1 14 months
DS2 16 months

Now 5.9 and 3.4 they visit regularly wink.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 30-Sep-09 21:28:34

6 months + 1 day, both times.

And we all started sleeping better immediately.

bunnybunyip Wed 30-Sep-09 21:32:00

5 months. Thought it would be hard. But he slept much better. However still a pain carting him between rooms for feeds, so pros and cons.

Waswondering Wed 30-Sep-09 21:34:04

And for the other end of the spectrum, ds - 3 weeks, dd 1.5 nights after getting home.

They are now 6 and 3.

roseability Wed 30-Sep-09 21:34:25

I co slept for three months and neither of us slept at all.

Moved her to her own room a week ago (just over three months) out of depseration and pressure from DH. her room is very close to ours and of course we use a very sensitive monitor

She has slept through ever since shock

However I feel soooo guilty and worry about her. I just don't understand why she sleeps better in her own room than with me sad

I am torn. Should I bring her back in with us? We really don't fulfil any risk factor for SIDS other than her being in her own room i.e. she is BF, sleeps on back in baby grobag, non smokers etc

greensnail Wed 30-Sep-09 21:35:29

5 months. She slept much better in her own room. I slept much worse as was up and down to check on her about 50 times a night grin

roseability Wed 30-Sep-09 21:36:08

would like to add that I have never sleep trained her or left her to cry. She just seems much more settled on her own. So much for my continuum concept parenting hopes

Knickers0nmahead Wed 30-Sep-09 21:39:15

DD 6 weeks

Ds still in with us at 11mo

Waswondering Wed 30-Sep-09 21:39:31

If you're taking the lead from your baby - then is she sleeping well? Is she happy as well rested? If so, what would you gain by bringing her back and having all of you disturbed? Would that make her settled and happy? Or has she said she's quite happy in her own bed?

Don't beat yourself up!! There's always something to feel guilty about. smile But if she's happy and you're all sleeping, well . ..

opinionatedmother Wed 30-Sep-09 21:40:52

6 months and ...6 months.

first was upset first two nights, then fine..second was fine straight away.

though they did sleep in the same room as dog, so weren't quite alone.

greensnail Wed 30-Sep-09 21:41:06

I feel your pain roseability but I think some babies just like their own space. DD seems to relax as soon as we go into her room and loves being there during the day too. We also tried cosleeping but after the first week or so it didn't work for us.

Its taken me ages to stop lying awake worrying about her though, and sure I would have been even worse at 3 months.

Have you tried her in a cot in your room, or just coslept?

StrikeUpTheBand Wed 30-Sep-09 21:43:09

roseability,

There is a theory that some babies who die from SIDS slept very deeply and then stopped breathing. I think this is one of the reasons why they say not on the tummy (apparently babies sleep very well on their tummy) and also why babies are statistically better off sharing a room and not sleeping in a room on their own. It is thought by some that having someone else in the room is enough to regulate the baby's breathing and also to not let them get into too deep a sleep. That's just a theory though.

My DS was 2 when we moved him into his own room and it was into a bed. It was mostly inertia on our part and laziness - he slept well anyway and was no bother and the cot would need to be dismantled to move it, so we never got round to it!

aoifesmama Wed 30-Sep-09 21:43:56

12 weeks and she started sleeping through soon after. She HATED her moses basket in our room and loves her own space. Now 26 weeks and as soon as we go into her room at night she begins to settle.

I however cried on the first night and missed her! (Despite wishing her into another room each wake for the previous 12 weeks!!)

roseability Wed 30-Sep-09 21:45:49

She does seem to love going to bed and self settles well. As I said without any training. We are very lucky I know. She doesn't sleep well during the day but I have tried napping with her and she sleeps even worse! My DS (3) was the same and went into his own room at 3 months. He always came in with usif he was unwell or having a bad night but even them he seemed to want to go back to his own bed

At times I have tried to encourage him to sleep with us but he likes his own bed/space. Likes to take dinky cars with him! I just have this romantic image of sleeping peacefully next to my babies all night but they don't have the same idea! I like to think it made them secure initally and thus they settled well in their own rooms. However having read other's sleeping nightmares on here I am sure it is just luck

Meglet Wed 30-Sep-09 21:47:05

DS - 8 weeks

DD - 6 weeks

Partly because I'm a light sleeper and couldn't sleep so close to them and partly because having the moses basket next to the bed meant I had to crawl to the end of the bed to get out and couldn't open the chest of drawers to get my clothes out.

They both slept well and were still so close I could hear DS sucking his thumb smile.

Rosebud05 Wed 30-Sep-09 21:47:35

My dd was a week short of 6 months as I couldn't bear being woken up with a little finger up my nose any longer. (She used to start off in her cot and then come in with me at some point.) She went from waking up LOADS and taking ages to settle to waking up once, having a feed, then going back to sleep or even sleeping through. We were definitely waking each other up. I think some of them are just like this.

Jojay Wed 30-Sep-09 21:48:30

About 4 months both times - it was when they grew out of the moses basket and we couldn't fit a cot in our room.

No drama, either time.

roseability Wed 30-Sep-09 21:49:15

aoifesmama - I felt so sad looking at her empty crib

greensnail - she was in a bedside crib (the type that attaches to the side of your bed) or in the bed next to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now