Talk

Advanced search

Dream feed and sleeping longer?

(5 Posts)
shirleycat1 Tue 29-Sep-09 11:00:20

I have just started trying to get my ds to sleep a bit longer. He is 19 weeks and has never been a great sleeper but a couple of weeks ago started to wake every 2 hours or less. After a week I decided enough was enough and did a kind of version of baby whisperer and pick up put down.

So now I put him down at 7.30 and give him a dream feed at 10/10.30. I have decided that I'm not going to feed him again until between 3-4am as I know he can definitely go for 5 hours (that's the longest he's ever gone). But he always wakes between 1 and 2am. We try and calm him down with patting and shushing and eventually he goes back down, but it can take ages. I thought after a week we would have moved on from this. He usually then goes until 3ish when I feed him and then he goes until 7ish.

Before starting this and before his regular waking, on a good night he was going down at 8pm, waking for a feed at 12 and then another at 4. Often after the 12 o'clock feed it was 2 hourly.

I'm not sure if the dream feed is a good thing or not. He only goes 3 hours after it now, but I'm worried without it he'd be awake even earlier. Am I making sense?

Sorry, I'm going on, but I just want someone to say it might get better, or give me a possible alternative or just say they get it. I'm pretty knackered...

Cousel Tue 29-Sep-09 13:20:06

hi,
i have a 20wk dd. i do the dream feed at 11.3 and have found that she is waking up earlier and earlier, i then topped up my 8pm bf with 2 oz from a bottle which really helped and stuck with the dream feed at 11pm. Somehow, she started sleeping through till around 6am.

i think when the weaning starts it should improve too, also i'm getting teething issues - there is so much going on for the dc at this age. i do believe in the dream feed.

KEAWYED Tue 29-Sep-09 13:22:50

I've just stopped giving DS3 a dream feed at 11pm as he no longer needs it but I would stick at it.

Hes 20 weeks old and we started doing it at about 8 weeks.

Stick at it it personally I think they are great.

Welshygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 16:27:56

We did a dream feed at 11 and I found if we stopped it he woke up anyway for a feed at 12 or 1am. Eventually he started going from 11 to 7 without a feed and I am just thinking of stopping the dream feed at 6 months as we are now weaning him and I guess he shouldn't need it anymore when on 3 solid meals a day.

Welshygirl Tue 29-Sep-09 16:28:35

You could alsways not do it one night and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now