Talk

Advanced search

10.5 month old suddenly waking through night! Advice very much appreciated....

(8 Posts)
glasgowlass Tue 29-Sep-09 09:27:50

Hi all,

My DS (10.5m) has suddenly started waking at 5 am after sleeping right through from 8pm to 7am since 4 months old!

Have tried offering him drinks, but he wont take them. The room is dark so no light getting through. He crys and crys and will only sometimes settle while being cuddled to sleep whereas previously he was great at self settling. His naps during the day affected too, he would sleep for around 30 mins after each feed but now will only settle when being wheeled back and forth in buggy, for around 20 mins or so. I can tell he is exhausted but seems to be "fighting" it, almost as though he is scared he will miss something....

His food intake is good now(had problems with gagging, vomiting and he has reflux which require pead appts often).

He has cut 2 bottom and 2 top teeth, the last of which appeared around 5 weeks ago, cant feel anything obvious in his mouth.

I am at a loss. I am sleep deprived and stuck indoors just now due to prolonged SPD problems and I snapped a ligament in my knee at the weekend so cant manage to get him up and down the 64 stairs to my flat. My Mum does take him out daily for me to get him to his toddler groups etc but even the fresh air doesnt make him sleepy now.

I am hoping it is just a phase but could really do with advice/ suggestions.....

Thanks in advance for your time

glasgowlass Tue 29-Sep-09 18:56:56

Shameless bump.........anyone?

glasgowlass Wed 30-Sep-09 10:36:45

burtie2u Wed 30-Sep-09 14:45:57

Hi Glasgolas,
My DS is doing the same thing, he was going to sleep at 7 and not waking till about 5.30. This worked well for us as DH gets up for work at that time, so he would give him his bottle and he would sometimes go back down for an hour till I got up for work. But he was ill a few weeks ago and was off his milk for over a week and now he goes to bed at 7, but grizzles loads and always wakes about 1.30 for water and then is WIDE awake at 4 wanting to play. We both feel like walking zombies, we have tried controlled crying etc to get him back down, but he is having non of it :-(
Sorry I know I have given you no help at all, but I just wanted to let youknow your noy alone.

ElectricElephant Wed 30-Sep-09 14:53:22

What are his naps like during the day?

IIRC their memories are getting much better at this age, maybe he's having dreams that are scaring him?

Or - Teeth. have you tried neurofen to see if it helps?

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some better advice.

glasgowlass Wed 30-Sep-09 18:50:13

Aw Burtie, you must be exhausted! Hope things improve for you!

Electric, his naps are erratic now, used to be for 30 mins after each feed, self settling, now he fights sleep til he is exhausted and will only sleep while being pushed in buggy through the day, which is difficult for me with my hips and knee just now.
I really dont think its his teeth, he has 4 at the moment and his gums seem ok, not inflamed and he doesnt seem bothered by them during the day, whereas when he was teething he would be biting down on things throughout the day.

ElectricElephant Wed 30-Sep-09 20:29:29

Might be worth trying calpol/neurofen just to see though. With DS teething never bothered him during the day, as he was distracted enough with other things, but it would wake him up at night and painkillers were the only thing that made a difference.

just saying

Hope it settled down soon though, I feel your pain. We had 15 months of night waking, 4 of those were 4:30 ish starts.. It was ridiculous.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it

glasgowlass Thu 01-Oct-09 09:06:46

Hi Electric, thanks again for your reply, very much appreciate your time and thoughts.

Gave him calpol last night, had no effect, still same waking pattern through night. He wont take neurofen, spits it out straight away or sicks it back up after a few mins.

So sorry to hear of your early waking slog! It really isnt fun at all is it?

Thanks again, will try calpol again tonight as he does seem to be biting down on spoon a lot already today and generally unsettled, I think it is because he is so bloomin tired!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now