Talk

Advanced search

Nap/sleep pattern at 6 months

(13 Posts)
shish Mon 28-Sep-09 19:09:53

What sort of nap/ sleep pattern do your babies have at 6 months? My 6 month old ds2 is trying to fall into one but it keeps on getting disturbed by school run for ds1!!!

shish Tue 29-Sep-09 07:13:42

bump

Greatgoing Tue 29-Sep-09 12:06:54

My 6 month old seems to sleep a lot; in fact I started to sort of worry about it the other day.

He goes to bed between 7-7:30. He wakes at 5:30 for a feed, then goes back to sleep until 8.

He naps from 10-12, then in the afternoon will have another two naps of about an hour.

I think he sleeps more than other babies.

shish Tue 29-Sep-09 12:16:41

I find ds can't stay awake for very long stretches of time...

DrCosyTiger Tue 29-Sep-09 12:52:51

My 6 month old DD struggles to stay awake for more than about 2-2.5 hours at a time. She sleeps roughly 7pm to 6-7am, then a nap of about an hour at 9-10, another one at lunchtime and usually a very short one at about 4/4.30. She's a lot happier following this sort of pattern. If I mess with the daytime naps I find her night time sleep suffers and she's very grumpy. So you're not alone!

Carikube Tue 29-Sep-09 12:55:08

Ditto DrCosy - my 6 month DD has difficulty being awake for more than 2 hours at a time. Her morning/lunchtime naps are fine but I have real trouble getting her to go down for a nap in the afternoon. This means she normally ends up sleeping on me at some point as well as being very grizzly for poor DH when he gets in from work...

shish Tue 29-Sep-09 13:07:52

Sounds like I'm not alone then.. Ds similar to DrCosy excpet no thrid nap so very grumpy by dinner time, so maybe I should make him sleep again in the afternoon?

DrCosyTiger Tue 29-Sep-09 16:04:11

Hi Shish, it might help if you can manage to persuade him. It's getting a bit harder to persuade my DD to take that third nap but on the days she does she is so much happier. On the days she doesn't she's a grumpy girl until bedtime. But I see you have two DCs - or more? - so I guess to an extent DS2 has to fit in with your other DC which will make it harder for you I guess?

DrCosyTiger Tue 29-Sep-09 16:08:42

Ah have just re-read your OP and I see that's your problem! Might DS2 nap in the pushchair? I find even a quick 20 mins at about 4pm and my DD is a lot happier at dinner time.

shish Tue 29-Sep-09 19:58:25

I have 2 dc's - both boys. I managed to get ds2 to nap at about 5pm. He had about 40 mins and then had dinner as soon as woke - so then dinner was eaten happily rather than with a tired struggle. Thank you. Seeing that other 6 month old babies nap as often as that made me feel a lot better. It's amazing how much you forget second time around! I hope it works again tommorrow!

strawberrie Wed 30-Sep-09 08:58:34

I have a 5.5 month old with a virtually identical pattern to DrCosyTiger. Wakes 7/7.15 ish - a nap around 9 for 1-1.5 hours, another 1 hour ish over lunch and a third nap around 4 ish. I find that she's much happier and settles easier at bedtime (6.30-7ish, all of a sudden she just gets knackered) if she's had 3 sleeps during the day. She's pretty much guaranteed to start rubbing her eyes 2 hours after waking up, unless there's something really interesting going on. (she has a feed about 10.30 when I go to bed, and another during the night)

shish Wed 30-Sep-09 11:42:54

Sounds like our babies are on very similar patterns

lizmcfizz Thu 01-Oct-09 23:11:57

Same pattern for mine although he won't sleep much longer than an hour. Sleep 9.30ish, sleep 1ish, cat nap sometime around four. Any tips for getting him to sleep a bit longer in the first two naps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now