Talk

Advanced search

Morning naps - when did you stop?

(9 Posts)
womma Fri 25-Sep-09 13:18:52

DD is 12 mo, and still needs a sleep in the morning imo, but she's taking longer and longer to get to sleep and ends up having about 5 mins before her get-up time of 10am (I'm sticking to the routine her cm does, so it's bed about 8.45, and up at ten).

She's really ratty by late afternoon if she misses the morning nap, but should I start keepng her up until her afternoon sleep? Other mums with dcs her age have dropped the am sleep, but I'm not sure...when did you drop the morning nap?

Wigeon Fri 25-Sep-09 19:04:15

We think DD might be ready to drop her morning sleep and she's 15 months. Like you, it was taking ages to get her to go to sleep. Have you tried missing the morning nap, and putting her down shortly after lunch? (say 12:30pm or 1pm?). Our DD seems to be able to last until lunchtime, and then has been having one 2 hour nap after lunch. But she was reliably having a morning nap and an afternoon nap until very recently.

row78 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:08:01

What is she doing at the cms? Does she go down at 8:45 or is she refusing that until close to 10am?

womma Fri 25-Sep-09 20:54:23

Thanks for your replies - she goes down at the cm's at 8.45 but she's not going to sleep until nearly 10, so she gets about 10 mins sleep lately! Until very recently she was sleeping for a good hour in the morning so I'm not sure whether she's ready to lose this sleep yet....

Wigeon Fri 25-Sep-09 21:28:21

Actually, DD went fairly quickly in the last 3 weeks or so from having 45 mins or so in the morning to basically not being sleepy and seeming not to suffer if she didn't have a morning sleep.

You could always trying giving her one nap just after lunch, for two or three days, and if she just seems exhausted then revert to two naps a day? It's not as if there's no turning back if you adjust the routine.

HeadFairy Fri 25-Sep-09 21:31:03

Does she still have an afternoon nap? Sounds to me like she really just needs the one nap now. DS went from two naps to just one quite early on, he was definitely on just one nap (but a good 2 - 2.5 hour one) at 8 months. Like the other say, try just doing one solid nap after lunch, if she's ready to move on from two naps to one, your cm will probably be doing the same thing soon anyway.

ChocOrange05 Fri 25-Sep-09 21:56:33

DS 10.5mo has just cut out his morning nap and has 2-3 hours between 12-3 depending on when he woke up. He was getting harder and harder to settle for his morning nap and this is working well after just a couple of weeks.

HTH

womma Sat 26-Sep-09 09:14:03

Thanks everyone, I'll try her for a few days with no morning nap and see what how she goes xxx

Biglips Sat 26-Sep-09 09:21:08

my dd1 was 8 months old when she decided to drop her morning naps of her own accord and just had 2 hours afternoon naps.

my dd2 doesnt have morning naps only afternoon naps for 1.5 - 2hrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now