Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please tell me that "The No Cry Sleep Solution" works.

(7 Posts)
TitchyWitch Tue 22-Sep-09 21:13:31

My 11mo DD is breastfed and has only really ever settled when nursed. This wasn't a problem when she only woke once a night but for a couple of months it has been much more often and as early as a couple of hours after she has gone to bed. I've started to think that I'll never go out again and definitely never be away overnight.

We tried controlled crying in desperation and it worked but she got a cold and went back to waking all the time and I couldn't face doing it again and again each time we have a set back.

So I started the NCSS a week ago and it seemed better at first but now she is still waking all the time and not settling well at all.

Did it work for anyone out there?

bearhug Wed 23-Sep-09 12:41:07

Hmm We're having a go at this. We're about 5 days in. I no longer allow DS 12 months to fall asleep at the breast and he is settling himself surprisingly well now when he first goes to sleep. This is also helping him settle for naps during the day. He is still waking up too often during the night for my liking though (3 or 4 times) and so far is not prepared/able to settle without a feed.

I'm trying to reduce the time I let him feed, but sometimes (especially at 5 in the morning!) I accidentally fall asleep myself and forget to put him back in his own bed...

The book does say it's no quick fix, so we'll just have to hang in there and keep working at it. We will get a full night sleep sometime in the near future I'm sure.

Let us know how you get on

Reesie Wed 23-Sep-09 18:29:08

It didn't work for me. So - I carried on nursing dd1 to sleep and she just grew out of it herself.

Sorry not to sound positive.

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 23-Sep-09 18:40:29

I think it is a balance between trying the gentle encouragement methods, and your baby's own ability to respond to these. If anything it will give you the idea that you don't have to let your child cry to sleep, that there are less abrupt ways, and tactics you can use. Many people would echo your experience that CC "worked" until LO got ill, or had some other change. So it didn't really work, did it?

I bought the book in desperation when ds was 10 mnths and still waking every 90 minutes. The most important thing I go from it was that some babies DO take longer to learn to self-settle. I was much less stressed about the whole thing, and that passed to ds. He didn't sleep by himself or through the night for a looooong while after that, and still doesn't consistently, but I am cooler about it.

row78 Wed 23-Sep-09 18:51:14

Reesie - what age did your daughter grow out of nursing to sleep?

TitchyWitch Wed 23-Sep-09 18:51:49

Thank you for your replies. I was really disheartened yesterday and then last night my DD slept from 7.30pm till 5am!

I'm not expecting the same tonight but feel that we've made progress as that was unheard of a few nights ago.

I agree with lankylalto, the most reassuring thing about the book is that it almost gives you permission to ignore everyone that tells you to leave them to cry.

Will let you know how we get on over the next few nights.

TitchyWitch Mon 05-Oct-09 21:38:27

Just a quick update, we carried on and despite a few rough nights with teething my DD's sleeping has vastly improved. She has started to settle for my DH and we have had a few really good nights. Last night was the best yet, 7pm to 6am! So NCSS worked for me and didn't make me unhappy, I just wish I had found it sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now