Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where does your newborn spend the evening?

(6 Posts)
naturelover Sat 19-Sep-09 20:02:48

I'm talking about between alleged bedtime (say, 7pm) and your bedtime (say, 10pm).

The cot death guidelines say baby should sleep in same room as parents but what about the evening?

With DD two years ago, we kept her downstairs in pram until about 4 months of age, then started having a "bedtime" at 7pm when she was alone upstairs until I went to bed. This time around with DS I can't decide if/when to do this.

He's only 10 days old and right now doesn't know night from day and his "fussy" time is the dead of night. I'm thinking ahead to 6 weeks or so of age when his body clock has hopefully adjusted so that he sleeps in the evenings.

He just seems terribly young to be in a room alone for 3 hours. Or am I being a bit PFB?

Any opinions/experiences would be much appreciated.

naturelover Sat 19-Sep-09 20:07:31

I should add that DD did a lot of cluster feeding in the early weeks which is partly why it didn't seem to make sense to put her upstairs as I was nursing her so often. At least I got to watch TV and spend time with DH while endlessly feeding her!

Confuzzeled Sun 20-Sep-09 07:12:14

I was the same as you with my dd. Now with my ds who's 3 wo I'll do the same. I don't want him in a room on his own for a while yet and as you say he feeds in the evening and I'd rather not sit in a room on our own.

strawberrie Sun 20-Sep-09 20:16:50

My DD couldn't be relied upon to be asleep in the evenings until she was around 4 months old, but if she was, it was in her carrycot in the living room until we went to bed.
Now she's 5 months I don't think she would settle to sleep in the living room, and goes down her cot in the bedroom around 7 ish. But I do go in to check on her regularly. I don't think it's PFBish to want to keep a very young baby close to you smile

bigchris Sun 20-Sep-09 20:19:27

in the moses basket downstairs and then carried upstairs when we went to bed
until about 8 weeks when they get too heavy to do that
we used to leave the dcs in the moses basket upstairs and go downstairs
I used to go to bed at about 9pm anyay I was that knackered, lol

bangandthedirtisgone Sun 20-Sep-09 20:21:24

DD used to be downstairs with us, often in one of those battery operated swings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now