Talk

Advanced search

5 month old waking in night not really wanting anything-what do I do?

(3 Posts)
Chants73 Tue 15-Sep-09 21:33:34

I am sure this has been asked many times so apologies for asking again!

For about the last month, after sleeping through from about 13 weeks my son has been waking regularly in the early hours of the morning. I have fallen into the trap of going to him as soon as I hear him starting to get distressed (so he does not wake up husband who has to go to work). I pop his dummy back in, soothe him (not picking him up) and he eventually goes back to sleep-often then waking again before the morning. I think he is teething, so am treating that, he also gets upset when he rolls on to his tummy and can't roll back again, but more ofen that not I think he just wants human contact and his dummy put back in (definitely the latter the former might be my wishful thinking that he misses us!). He has a dream feed at about 10.30-11pm and has not had a night feed since he started sleeping through. I am confident he is not hungry.

We are getting increasingly shattered and some nights are in and out of his room up to 6 or 7 times between about 2.30 and 7am. We have turned off the baby monitor so we are not aware of every squeak he makes, but can hear him crying.

My husband has next week off work and I feel we need to try and address this when sleep for us is not so critical. I am not particulaly keen on controlled crying but do need more sleep.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how i should deal with this? One thought that has crossed my mind is if I should wean him off the dummy so that he can fall asleep without it?

many thanks

HumphreyCobbler Tue 15-Sep-09 21:37:48

I would take him into my bed so that he can have all the human contact he wants. It needn't be a long term solution but it worked for me.

Also he might be hungry, a baby's needs change. Have you tried feeding him to see if he settles the rest of the night? I would try that first of all I think.

Chants73 Wed 16-Sep-09 09:25:09

thanks for your reply-ended up in spare bedroom with him in bed with me last night and think i woke up at every noise he made and seemed to spend most of night hunting for his dummy and putting it back in! the hunger point is a good one-I might increase his last two feeds before bed to see if that helps him sleep better.
thanks again for your reply

C

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now