Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only new Mum that feels really bad the first time they SWADDLE there baby??

(23 Posts)
againandagain Mon 14-Sep-09 21:18:31

Please tell me its not as horrific as it looks?? Am I doing the right thing??

dinkystinky Mon 14-Sep-09 21:20:16

It really calmed both my DSs - they loved feeling all cosy and snuggled up (like they were inside of me) and slept brilliantly when swaddled. If your baby doesnt like it, stop - but for most little babies it really is a godsend.

preggersplayspop Mon 14-Sep-09 21:20:42

I couldn't do the swaddling thing, I felt like my baby was trapped! Its weird, my mum swore by swaddling but it just felt wrong to me for some reason. Am thinking of giving it another go for No 2 due soon, so hoping to hear some good advice on your thread!

HumphreyCobbler Mon 14-Sep-09 21:21:38

you can tell if they don't like it. Ds loved it and calmed down straight away, dd had reflux and hated it.

MrsHappy Mon 14-Sep-09 21:22:18

I used to call it putting my DD in her straightjacket... blush.
But it wasn't horrific, she used to sigh with happiness when she was tucked up like a little spring roll. And I am sure it made her feel really secure, safe and warm, judging from how well she slept.

againandagain Mon 14-Sep-09 21:27:43

okay thanks/
Will update later

mcflumpy Mon 14-Sep-09 21:40:16

my dd is 14 weeks and is still swaddled i feel terrible about it but she arguably sleeps longer and has a more settled sleep when swadlled, sometimes she even giggles when we're swaddling her! Difficulty for us now is when to stop, as she still has flailing arms.

againandagain Mon 14-Sep-09 21:50:57

okay so fsr so good.... no wriggling or squeaking....
I am now worried though about her being to hot?
The moniter says the room temp is 25c although the window is open and she has a no legs, short sleeved body vest on and a mothercare swaggling blanket. Do u think this is about right, she is quite a hot baby. Id rather her be a little on the cool side as I can just cover her with a cellular blanket?? Sorry for all the dummie Q! Really must get some sleep, but am worrying now!

peggotty Mon 14-Sep-09 21:56:50

That sounds fine. Go to sleep!!!

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 14-Sep-09 22:00:25

All but one of my 3 loved it. They tend to thrash the first few times till they stop and realise whats going on, then thoroughly enjoyed it.
Plus, they looked so cute 'grubbed up' as we call it. especially with a little cotton baby hat on too.
Will be swaddling no4 when s/he arrives too.

againandagain Mon 14-Sep-09 22:03:22

Thanks everyone so far she has not moved, In facti keep checking that she is breathing..... Thankyou all for being so reassuring

lowrib Mon 14-Sep-09 22:09:27

Personally I wouldn't swaddle but each to their own. If it worries you why do it?

mcflumpy Mon 14-Sep-09 22:11:01

lowrib, why wouldn't you swaddle?

dyzzidi Mon 14-Sep-09 22:11:55

I swaddled dd as she always slept better like that. I never even really considered not swaddling as when i was younger all the babies i knew were put to sleep like that so i was used to it.

againandagain Mon 14-Sep-09 22:21:15

The swaddling doesnt worry me. The overheating does! To be honest we were so sleep deprived this morning and I had heard this was worth a try. Im a new mum and am quite open minded so i cant see the harm in trying for a night

Pearlnz Thu 17-Sep-09 09:00:47

swaddling was so awesome to settle my babies. They would wriggle against it to start with but slept so much more soundly and to me , well rested babies were happier babies which made happier mum!
We had issues transitioning from the swaddle (as they didn't sleep well without it then!) but we found a great sleeper called the Peke Moe which weans from swaddling and worked great, -you can google it .
all the best!

pippel Thu 17-Sep-09 09:06:34

my baby was born in the summer so she was often swaddled in just a nappy

if you are worried she will get too hot you can check how warm the back of her neck is

littlelozz Thu 17-Sep-09 09:10:33

Its the only way my dd2 will sleep! Total godsend and was the same for dd1. Never even thought about it being restricting or anything until FIL was horrified one day when he saw me do it. It settles her a treat and calms her at bed time. Plus she knows its sleepy time so I think its fab.
Hope you had a good nights sleep x

mama2leah Thu 17-Sep-09 11:07:42

dd1 hated it, dd2 loves it... each baby is different

countrylover Fri 18-Sep-09 09:21:40

It worked a treat for both DS's. DS2 was a spring baby so this summer when it was really hot I just had him in a nappy and then the swaddle sheet.

He decided in his own way around nine or ten weeks that he'd had enough of it as he used to somehow get his arms out so he could suck on his fingers. After that we stopped and he's now just as happy in a gro bag.

But in answer to the OP, I agree it does look a little strange and I did have some comments from friends and family as to it looking a bit odd but seriously, it works. Anything that gets everyone a bit more sleep is worth it's weight in gold.

mum2abinalfie Fri 18-Sep-09 23:05:27

Hi i swaddled both my 2 & it worked fab they both slept thro most nites pity i had 2 wean the off (which only took 3 nites)

mcflumpy Sat 19-Sep-09 13:24:33

when did you wean them off mum2b?

pispirispis Thu 24-Sep-09 21:44:14

I swaddled dd for a few weeks when I put her down in her carrycot during the day. She was a very "hyper" easily overstimulated wee baby in the first few months and swaddling really calmed her down. In fact we had to blindfold her with a muslin as well grin so don't feel guilty for swaddling- I felt like a terrible mum! It was a godsend though as it was the only thing that would stop her from screeching with tiredness during the day and actually go to bloomin' sleep! She wouldn't sleep in my arms either, so swaddling (and blindfolding and total silence) was really the only thing that worked.

At night she didn't need it at all, we coslept so she would go to sleep staring at me, lol!

I live in Spain and it was very hot when we swaddled, so dd was in just a nappy and we swaddled her with a small sheet.

She still needed blindfolded when she finally stopped flailing around and didn't need swaddling any more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now