Advanced search

2 week old makes so much noise when asleep, it's driving me mad.

(12 Posts)
Confuzzeled Wed 09-Sep-09 17:19:17

He makes a squeak with every out breath and huffs and puffs. Last night he did it between 2.30 and 5.30am.

I thought it might be wind but even winding him for ages doesn't help.

He even woke up 2yo dd and she's in another room.

Is this normal and do they grow out of it?

ches Thu 10-Sep-09 05:55:35

Is his head elevated? You can try infant gas drops with simethicone (not sure of brand name) and see if they help.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 10-Sep-09 06:54:06

I remember it well. DD sounded like a pig in labour. It's just what they do, no need for any action if all seems well, apart from some earplugs maybe wink

WowOoo Thu 10-Sep-09 08:20:14

DS2 sounds like a moose on heat.(quite noisy!!)
It does get better though. He makes nice little noises when he's waking or falling to sleep now. it's when there's something going on in his tummy that the grunting and snorting starts.

TrippleBerryFairy Thu 10-Sep-09 14:07:08

I would check with someone-how about recording the noise and letting your HV or MW to listen and advise?

My 5 week old does make noise with each breath as well but it is gentle and quiet and I just love love love it...

mcflumpy Sat 12-Sep-09 20:47:39

my daughter did this too, she's 14 weeks now and its getting better, she now only does it occassionally in her sleep like when she's turning her head and for about an hour before she wakes up. Vast improvement as it was virtually all night at the start. It is worse if she has wind. She also sleeps elevated we got a foam wedge for her basket which seems to have helped.

nickytwotimes Sat 12-Sep-09 20:50:32

Mine was like this.
It was hellish.
I got him checked for respiratory issues and when he was pronounced fine, put him in his own room. I know, I know...

Wonderstuff Sat 12-Sep-09 20:57:47

My niece was a very noisy breather, she had floppy larynx. Don't think they did anything, she was definitly better before she was one, but can't really remember..

gallery Sat 12-Sep-09 21:41:50

I think this is funny as I found my first little one so noisy I couldn't sleep, I ended up moving him into another room when he was only 6 or 8 weeks. I remember sleeping so much better after he moved out. I managed way better with no 2 but even he moved out around 12 weeks. My sleep so important. I found I was shifting on every little wheeze on high alert in case he wanted fed. I really feel for you as I remember it well

sophus Sun 13-Sep-09 20:05:40

DS did this, newborns lighter sleep phase is longer and gradually gets shorted and shorter, i did fantasise about lobbing DS out of the window on more than one occasion and 2.30-5.30 is prime time. it gets better and use earplugs, they are a sanity saver.

nauseous Sun 13-Sep-09 21:57:46

CarGirl Sun 13-Sep-09 22:04:09

you are all so much more "proper" than me, I lasted 2 weeks with dc2, 3 days with dc3 and I didn't even bother with the pretence of dc4. They would be fast asleep and I would be wide awake with dripping milk......

Have to say I could hear some of the noises through 2 closed doors but they are paper thin and it's a very "cosy" house size wise"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now