Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep in total for an 8 month old?

(6 Posts)
AvrilH Wed 09-Sep-09 12:46:16

The Millpond book and others suggest about 14 hours, but elsewhere I read that "by 6 months, most children sleep only 11 to 12 hours total".

So, what is the answer and how much sleep could I reasonably expect my baby to have? I do appreciate that it will vary from baby to baby, but just looking for a starting point.

Thanks!

missmelly Wed 09-Sep-09 16:23:15

my 8mth old goes down about 8pm, sleeps till around 7am (wakes up during the night however) and has 2 or 3 naps of about 45mins during the day

JJ1471 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:54:41

My nearly 8 month old goes to bed at 8pm and starts his day usually between 5-6am (up in the night at least once but not for too long). Occasionally he'll go to 7am with help i.e. in bed with me.

During the day he sleeps total 3-4 hours over 2-3 naps. When he sleeps less in the day he sleeps later the next morning, but when he's up early he needs more sleep during the day - it's a vicious circle!

He still tends to fall asleep in the pushchair or car seat if he's been awake for longer than an hour or so.

AvrilH Thu 10-Sep-09 12:24:07

Thanks all, I am doing sleep training now, so guess I can reasonably expect my 8 month old to be mostly asleep in her cot between 8pm and 6am, when she has just over 2 hours sleep by day, divided over 3 naps.

missmelly Thu 10-Sep-09 13:49:33

I try and get mine down for naps 2 hours after she wakes up, for the first two anyway. If she has a late afternoon nap, it might be closer to 3 hours after her last one.

good luck with it.

MoonlightMcKenzie Thu 10-Sep-09 13:55:53

My 8month old slept 11pm until 7:30 and then had a 1.5 hour nap around lunch time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now