Talk

Advanced search

Transition from grobags to duvet ? Any tips?

(21 Posts)
De88ie Fri 04-Sep-09 22:41:04

Hi All, My DS is now 15 months old and sleeps fairly well at night. It's getting colder now and he's almost out of his 12-18 month grobags as he's fairly tall. I was thinking of moving him onto a duvet or covers, but he's still very active when sleeping and i'm worried he'll just move out from underneath covers and wake more often.. He's cutting a molar at the moment which i think is the reason he's waking more at night, but he soon settles with a dummy.

Any ideas on what to get and any tips on settling him down under the covers?

Help is gratefully received !

LadyPinkofPinkerton Fri 04-Sep-09 22:53:05

Buy a bigger grobag. Thats what I did. I plan to move DS2 into a bed in his grobag and transition after that.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 04-Sep-09 22:54:14

Just do it before it gets too cold and he gets used to the idea, just started with DS now.

MegBusset Fri 04-Sep-09 22:54:48

We got the next size up grobags for DS1 as well. He has only just gone to a duvet at 2.6.

weegiemum Fri 04-Sep-09 22:56:40

Second (...third, fourth...) bigger grobag.

Or

Fleeecey pyjama all in ones to keep warm

stringerbell Fri 04-Sep-09 22:56:47

Message withdrawn

bosch Fri 04-Sep-09 22:56:58

Have just moved 34 month old ds out of grobag and into duvet.

Get a bigger grobag!

Move has been highly successful by the way - I've turned duvet round so it's widthways to bed and tuck both ends under mattress so ds can't fall out of bed.

llareggub Fri 04-Sep-09 22:59:54

I moved mine to a duvet as soon as he starting walking. I didn't want him getting out of bed in his sleep and falling over because he was stuck in a grobag. It may seem mad to most people but I am a prolific sleepwalker and I am terrified that DS1 will be similarly inflicted.

I think because he went a duvet so early, it wasn't a problem and it didn't change his sleep patterns.

llareggub Fri 04-Sep-09 23:00:44

afflicted

where on earth did inflicted come from?

De88ie Sat 05-Sep-09 15:58:08

thanks all, would seem i might be a premature.. he's so mobile i was wondering how he'd do in a grobag once the bars come down on the cotbed..

bodiddly Sat 05-Sep-09 16:07:31

bigger grobag and perhaps duvet for day time naps .. that way dc gets used to the duvet!

bethylou Sat 05-Sep-09 21:28:07

I was about to ask exactly the same question as my 17 month old DS isn't at one end of the cot for more than about half an hour at a time at night and he's too tall for the 6-18 month grow bags. Sounds like I need bigger ones for now.

I know one person has already given their answer to this, but, bearing in mind my DS will have to be out of the cot by 20 months at Christmas ready for a new sibling, do I tackle bed first and then go for a duvet or get him under a duvet in the cot and then transfer to the bed? He's only been sleeping well for about 3 months after 6 months of night coughing (now inhaler-controlled - bliss) so I'm dreading these transitions!

NellyTheElephant Sun 06-Sep-09 20:42:57

DD1 stayed in her sleeping bag until she was 2 and a half, you can get size 18 months - 3yrs ones, so no need to move onto a duvet now unless you really want to. She went into a bed at about 21 months but flatly refused to have the duvet near her. She had no problem hopping in and out of bed (a low child's bed) and doing a sort of sack race walk around the room!! I think she'd have stayed in it forever given the choice, but once she came out of night time nappies she really needed to be able to access the potty on her own so I had a week long battle before she accepted the duvet.

DD2 had a cot duvet in her cot from about 17 months and we had no problems at all initially, but when we took the cot sides off a month or so later, as she was climbing out, she started kicking the duvet off and waking up cold, and also falling out of bed occasionally. What worked for us was to tuck a sheet very tightly over the top of the duvet to keep it (and her) in place. Thinking back, if I'd kept her in the sleeping bag she wouldn't have been able to climb out of the cot and so I wouldn't have had to take the sides off so soon and it all would have been simpler.....

Next time round with DS I think I'll follow the same path as DD1 and keep him in the sleeping bag longer - i think she found it much easier and by 2 and a half had no problems keeping the duvet on her.

jamandjerusalem Mon 07-Sep-09 14:11:59

We did it by mistake really. Grobag was downstairs when I took DS up for a nap one lunchtime. We'd already bought a duvet and pillow, and DS had used the pillow for a while. So rather than risk DS coming out of dozey state while I noodled around downstairs for Grobag, I just put him in the cot with the duvet. He napped with it fine. So we just carried on using it.

I found it was like most things with my DS - I was terrified of changing anything in case it 'broke the spell', but when we actually bit the bullet and changed something he was far more adaptable than we gave him credit for. We do as bosch does and have duvet horizontally across cot with ends tucked under mattress. DS has become much less wriggly as a result.

Does your DS still nap? Worth risking a bad nap just to see whether he notices not being in a grobag?

Roomfor2 Mon 07-Sep-09 14:20:32

DD was the same - visited all four corners of the cot at least once every night!

But we swapped to duvet when we couldn't find a big enough growbag (about 18 months, I think). She managed fine, still have to tuck her in when I go up to be some nights, but mostly she stays under it ok. I just tuck her in really snuggly and hope she stays there. She tends to sleep with her head right at the top of the cot now, so she doesn't riggle out as the duvet comes all the way up, IYSWIM.

When you do decide to move to a duvet, someone gave me the top tip to buy a single size, not a cot or cotbed size, as then you can tuck them right round under the mattress and they stay put better. Plus you can keep them when they move into a proper bed. A cot duvet is a waste of money, I think.

Roomfor2 Mon 07-Sep-09 14:21:16

up to bed

Maria3boys Sat 12-Sep-09 17:21:11

Duvet grippers from www.gltc.co.uk! A godsend and my 5 year old still uses his

Maria3boys Sat 12-Sep-09 17:22:49

Duvet grippers from www.gltc.co.uk! Still used by my 5 year old!!!

rpicks Mon 28-Sep-09 20:02:52

About 4 weeks ago, i changed my little boys cot into a bed, with not much success, he used to be such a good sleeper, now he gets out of bed straight away as soon as i have left and screams, it has been a nightmare really. Takes me ages to settle him down, sometimes i have to wait til my huband gets in from work to put him too bed. So i have decided to go back to a cot, and put him back in his babygro(which he used to have before i put him in a bed).
Does anyone think that is a bad idea?
The first night i have put him back in his cot, he never made a sound.
He is 26 months old.
Wasnt sure you could still put them in a grobag after about 18 months, but just read you can buy them up to 36 months.
Its made my life easier going backwards but alot of my friends told me no to go back to a cot.

Milsy Mon 28-Sep-09 21:36:57

Grobag have a special duvet type thing for this. You zip it to the sheet.

Check www.bump2three.com.

grin

Waswondering Mon 28-Sep-09 21:40:02

I took a normal single duvet, rotated it 90 degrees and tucked the bedroom side in and all the way under the mattress, so that it was the wall side that was free - does that make sense? That way she was tucked in and less likely to fall out, but could kick off and find her covers again if she wanted them. Much cheaper than the special duvet thing mentioned above, and never a problem for dd.

HTH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now