Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14 week old terrible at daytime sleeping

(9 Posts)
Corky Wed 01-Jun-05 17:36:33

My ds is 14 weeks and sleeps through the night no problem has done for a few weeks now. He goes down between 7/8pm (depends on what time dd goes down!) then sleeps until 7.30am ish. Trouble is he is awful at sleeping during the day. He only seems happy when he's got a belly full of milk! He starts crying the minute he gets put in his cot and I've left him 20mins and he's still crying. Sometimes its wind and he eventually burps then finally goes to sleep, but this is only for 40mins. He does this about 3 or 4 times a day and I use a guide of him staying awake for about 1.5 hours before trying to put him down again.
I find this very draining during the day as its non stop as he doesn't want to be left when he gets irritable so I'm spending next to no time with my dd and get nothing done around the house.
Perhaps he generally doesn't need the sleep during the day? He just isn't happy at all and I've always tried the food and nappy. I just thought they needed a certain amount of sleep during the day as well?
Today I resorted to using a dummy as I'd had enough (which I feel terrible about.
Anyone have a similar problem?

emmabmcg Wed 01-Jun-05 17:39:14

Hi, My 20 wk dd will only go down for her first nap of the day on her own. All subsequent naps are either in the car or buggy or if I bfeed to sleep. My friend's baby has never really had naps during nthe day and has always slept well at night. Maybe he just isn't that tired. Does he act sleepy?

Corky Wed 01-Jun-05 17:54:55

Well he sort of rubs his face and yawns, but generally starts moaning and when he's fed and changed there aren't many other things it could be. I do think he gets disrupted a lot as he has to fit in around my dd's routine. Today he finally went to sleep at 3pm (after being awake since 11:50) but slept for 30mins!
I guess I'm comparing him a bit to my dd but they are all different. I just wish he would lie under his gym or sit in his chair for a bit, he just moans when left!!

hummingbird123 Fri 03-Jun-05 10:56:20

HI corky, at this age my d's was up 1.5 hrs and then asleep 1.5 hrs, 40 mins supposed to be natural sleep cycle, so just b4 i knew she was going to wake up I would creep in re-insert dummy and pop d's on her side, this usually carried her though. Then at 16 wks I increased her awake time to 2 hrs and sleep time to 2 hrs (which also helped increase feeds to 4 hrly as opposed to 3hrly!) this worked really well and she in good sleep/awake routine. Ofter have to re-setlle her in middle of 2hr nap, but doesnt usually take much more than changing her postition, putting her dummy in and the i place my hand on her side for about 5 mins. I found dummy gr8 help as it now signals sleep time to d's. HTH

aloha Fri 03-Jun-05 11:10:14

My ds was quite a bit like this. It was just him and improved dramatically when he was older. My dd sounds like yours - happy to be left under her gym. If I had had her first, ds would have been an even bigger shock, I think.
It's a cliche I know, but they really are all different and you are lucky that he sleeps all night. Count your blessing! (Ooh, it's cliche time here)

TracyK Fri 03-Jun-05 11:19:40

ds was the same - would cry if put down to sleep in his cot or under the gym. He gradually got better and better. He would only fall asleep on me - so I used to be 'stuck' reading a mag on the couch for 2 hours!!
It will get better and at least he sleeps through the night.
How bout a papoose/sling so at least you can get stuff done around the house??

babybloos Fri 03-Jun-05 16:06:13

I find that the more tired dd is the shorter and harder her naps are - been battling since early weeks during the day like you but seem to be turning the corner at 6months old! She now gives me better signals and doesn't fool us so much. I had so many people say I should be grateful she slept at night and maybe she just isn't tired - not the case, she just needed a little more help than other babes to get to sleep. She also needs a full belly

NannyL Sun 05-Jun-05 22:57:49

In answer to your comment i think it is definite that a 14 week old baby DOES need to nap during the day!

do you put him in a VERy dark room?

may be if you just let him cry for a few minuted he will settle himself... if hes OVER tired tho then he probably wont

try putting him down 2 hours from when he awoke so not over tired

Good luck

jenweber630 Thu 09-Jun-05 00:19:46

I think all babies are so different! When my son was 3 months old, I could hardly ever put him down for a nap - I pretty much had to hold him. It made it quite difficult to get things done with within a month or so it subsided. I've found that playing white noise has been a great cue that it's time for sleep when the baby has seemed tired and that has helped - he typically nurses to sleep but if it doesn't quite get him there the white noise does... And I personally think dummies have their place (certainly not in the mouths of 4 year olds) but it's been a great help with my ds and when he's ready I'll phase out using it hopefully by the time he's 15 months old. I was a pediatric speech therapist in the life before baby and have read a lot about use of a dummy and it really doesn't start to impair their speech/dental development until that time and even then occasional use is not the end of the world... I hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now