Talk

Advanced search

Amby nest to cot transition - any experience?

(7 Posts)
stclair Fri 04-Sep-09 10:35:14

My DD is only 7 weeks old but I'm already getting a little nervous about moving her to a cot when the time comes as she has taken to the nest so well. She is very long so not likely to last in it as long as she would otherwise. Please can you tell me your experiences? (hopeful there are good ones )

Bettymum Fri 04-Sep-09 10:41:40

My DD LOVED her nest, every night when I tucked her in she looked so happy to be in it. The nest was at the bottom of our bed.
I was very worried about the transition - we happened to go to France for a week when she was 6 months old (still in the nest), so she was in a travel cot for that week. I planned to put her straight in her cot in her room when we got home but relented and I think she was in the nest for two or three nights. I had been putting her in her cot for daytime naps, and actually she was absolutely fine when I put her in for the first time at night.
I did put her in with blankets/sheet though which of course she wriggled straight out of (can't do that in a nest) so I had to go and buy a Grobag which worked much better for her as she's so wriggly.
One thing that I was planning to do, but forgot, was to move the nest into her room a week or two before I put her in the cot. It didn't matter in the end but it might make the transition easier for your DD?

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 04-Sep-09 10:45:00

It's a long way away though, isn't it? She can stay in the amby until she's 29lbs I think? Which depending on the weight of your LO, could be 1 year or even more. I'm planning on getting the stronger spring when DS2 is too heavy, to keep hinm in it for longer. He loves it.

justaphase Fri 04-Sep-09 10:50:42

I moved DD when she was about 8 or 9 months. She was starting to look distinnctly uncomfortable in the Amby as she obviously wanted to be able to move about. I took the side off the cotbed annd put it next to my bed so that she is close to me. It was no problem at all, she actually started to sleep better after I moved her, I think she must have been feeling a bit too restrictted in the Amby by that point.

pixsix Fri 04-Sep-09 11:07:26

I was worried about this too. I moved ds when he was about 5 months and he didn't sleep much the first night, was better the second and slept through on the third and since then has been absolutely fine. It worked really well for us and if I have another dc I will definitely use the nest again. HTH!

MrsMcJnr Fri 04-Sep-09 16:01:37

DS loved his nest until he was 4 months and wanted to roll over to sleep and then he found it frustrating. We had no issues when we moved him to a cot. DD (2m) is loving the nest but she is very tall and I am not sure how long I should keep her in it. I don't have the instructions for the nest anymore, can anyone advise me? thanks.

PortAndLemon Fri 04-Sep-09 16:05:04

DD was very long, and managed in the nest until she was 10 months when she managed to climb/fall out of it (I'd been thinking for about a month that I really ought to move her but hadn't bitten the bullet and done it). At that age she went straight into a cot (cold turkey, obviously, given the Amby escapology) with no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now