Talk

Advanced search

sleep or feeding problem?

(2 Posts)
tammy22 Tue 01-Sep-09 09:03:22

Hi! This is my first post and I would really appreciate your help! I am a mum of 3 and my baby is just over 3 months now. She slept really well to begin with waking once or twice for a quick feed then straight back to sleep. The last month things have gone downhill! She will wake for food twice but every time I put her back down she wakes and cant get back to sleep (Ive tried leaving her a bit but then she fully wakes!) I feed her again and so the pattern continues until she eventually stays asleep. I dont seem to be producing as much milk at the moment and never feel full. When she feeds she isnt getting much when the let down comes (only a few 'big gulps' when she used to get loads) One breast is permenantly smaller and when Ive expressed previously to try a top up at bedtime I can get 4 oz from the 'good side' but 1oz from the other (expressing at same time of day same time since last feed)Id really appreciate any advice...Should I maybe give a bottle of formula at bedtime? Do you think its a sleep problem not being able to get back to sleep herslf or hunger because of a reduced amount of milk? Id really value your opinions here as Im exhausted and dont know whats best to do!

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 09:20:41

Hello smile
It sounds like a growth spurt to me - it can take a while for your supply to catch up to her increased demand.
Formula won't help as the only thing that will make you make more milk is feeding her more (iyswim) - if she has formula instead you'll end up making less.
If you can hang on for a week or two you'll probably find it settles down by itself.

In the meantime might you consider co-sleeping so at least you don;t have to keep lifting her in and out of the basket, and you can even doze off while still feeding her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now