Talk

Advanced search

How to get 6 month old to self settle without too much trauma?

(5 Posts)
dycey Mon 31-Aug-09 13:05:58

Any advice would be much appreciated. I need some gentle method to get my baby to fall asleep in his bed not on me.

I rocked DS1 to sleep until he was 2 months - then introduced a dummy as I was exhausted from carrying him round (v heavy boy! needing a lot of short naps) but realised the dummy was interrupting his sleep - and went cold turkey at 5.5 months. He cried a lot the first nap - screamed in fact - but after that cried less and all appeared to be going well (tho it was v v hard to let him cry at all). He even fell asleep a few times with no crying at all. UNTIL - one time he started freaking out when I put him in his cot for a nap... he would scream and scream and stare at me madly... when I got him up he would be all jerky and seem pretty traumatised {sad}. So I have started to hold and sway and rock and he falls asleep happily on me - sucking his fingers and yawning. While I do not mind this at all - enjoy it in fact - he won't accept my husband doing it and I am going back to work when he is 10 months so someone else will need to get him to sleep - tho the buggy always works.

ALso, I'd like him to fall asleep happily in his bed when he wakes up at night (I am feeding and rocking a fair amount still). And I hate the idea of him being unable to get back to sleep if I am not there - out for the evening or at work.

How can I put him in his cot awake and him not get freaked out? Obviously he would prefer to be held and jiggled / rocked etc but I don't feel this is sustainable...

WOuld appreciate your ideas please! Gentle ways to settle a baby for naps and bedtime in bed.

BarrelOfMonkeys Mon 31-Aug-09 19:24:39

The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley is quite helpful in terms of a gentle approach. I'm not there yet in terms of putting my 7.5 mo down awake though, although she does give advice on how to break the feed/rock to sleep cycle which seems sensible, just too tired to try it most days!

Loosingmymind Mon 31-Aug-09 19:31:11

With my DD she would only be rocked to sleep until she was 3 months when I tried laying her in her cot nearly asleep then rubbing her back and saying 'shh shh shh' gently, at 1st she got upset so I would give her a cuddle and put her back down, I repeated this and after around 10mins she was asleep! She is now 5 months and since she was 3.5 months I have been able to put her to bed awake and she settles herself no problem.

dycey Tue 01-Sep-09 15:40:38

Thanks both of you - I was managing quite well - he was crying for 15 mins for naps and never more than 8 mins for night - BUT the couple of times he freaked out and got hysterical made me lose my nerve... any excuse to pick him up!

I will try rocking and putting him down earlier soon (we are moving and he will get his own room then so shall leave for a month). I just don't know how to marry consistency and not letting a baby get hysterical....

Slightly obsessing me - probably cos he woke me 6 times last night and I am sure if he could settle alone he wouldn't call for me quite so much.

iwantitnow Tue 01-Sep-09 20:54:07

Also would recommend Elizabeth Pantley - worked for my DD, who slept through with gradual retreat described in the book at 7 months, it took a month. With DS who is 5 months old, I implemented the tips from birth and has gone down awake from day 1, a very strong bedtime/nap routine, DS does sometimes "mumble" for max 10mins, I would never leave him more. I haven't yet managed set naptimes, trying to do that with a toddler and holidays has proved impossible - but my next step. Still wakes 1/2 times a night but he is still BF so no surprise there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now