Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about Pick Up Put Down?

(5 Posts)
nzbabies Sun 30-Aug-09 09:56:38

Have you done it? Did it work? (my baby is 5 months) Do you think it could be in any way cruel? Opinions and experiences please!

rubyslippers Sun 30-Aug-09 09:59:34

totally over stimulating IME

tried it with DS and it was not for us - all that picking up and putting down is not relaxing

i think shushing and patting is gentler which is another BW technique

TBH at 5 months, nose and head stroking work well and plenty of cuddles

nzbabies Sun 30-Aug-09 10:09:57

thanks rubyslippers - what exactly did you do at 5 months? Did you put baby down and then stroke and pick up for cuddles then put down for ages until s/he went to sleep? How many nights did it take? thanks

rubyslippers Sun 30-Aug-09 11:12:00

i never did it at night - only in the day

tried a couple of times and it made things much worse

at 5 months DS was still having night feeds and that was how he settled

is your LO still feeding at night?

FlamingoBingo Sun 30-Aug-09 11:16:46

This won't be popular but I think all forms of sleep training are unnecessary and a pain in the bum.

Just cuddle them - eventually they'll learn to fall asleep on their own. Enjoy them while they're young and want to be cuddled!

I tried PUPD with my DD1 at 5m and she started having night terrors. Not saying all babies will do that - my DD1 is supersensitive. We went back to cuddling/feeding her to sleep and keeping her downstairs with us so we didn't miss bits of programmes if we had to re-settle her!

We've done the same with all four of ours now, and not had any problems - it's just taken longer than the books say, but babies haven't read the books and the books don't say what babies would naturally do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now