Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Sleep Patterns

(4 Posts)
Chunkamatic Fri 28-Aug-09 15:08:16

Hi,

DS is 18mths and just recentley has starting taking really rather long naps. Today I have been informed that he has napped for 2hrs 45mins.

He used to have a morning nap of around 90mins and then might or might not (usually not) have a shorter nap in the afternoon. Now he just has this massive nap around midday.

He goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at various times. This can be from 5.45am to 8.30am. At the moment I would say he is having a "lie-in" about once a week.

Now, I know this is a blessing and that those of you with non sleepers will want to hide this thread straight away. But the inexperienced mother of PFB in me is wondering if everything is OK with him.

He is in generally good health otherwise, apart from he has just been given an inhaler for a persistent cough, which they have said could be asthma related. However, this does not affect him in the day and his sleep is not broken since he has been having the inhaler.

What sleep patterns do everyone elses toddlers have?!!!

Indith Fri 28-Aug-09 15:13:41

Long naps are wonderful! I have a 2.7 year old who is much the same. Once he starting taking just 1 nap a day he would sleep for ever! I used to have to dig him out of his cot to take him to creche, often I'd end up shoving him in the pushchair and they would give him his breakfast blush. Even now he sleeps until 7/7.30 or sometimes as late as 9 and then has 1.5 hours minimum, up to 3/4 hours in the afternoon. Enjoy it as lately I've noticed it comes in waves and when he is having a growth spurt he sleeps lots but when he isn't he sometimes only goes up to his bed and plays quietly instead of sleeping.

Chunkamatic Fri 28-Aug-09 16:21:52

Thanks. I am not normally a worried parent, but just lately I have worried that maybe I dont worry enough, and this sort of nonsense is the by-product of that I think!!!

Maybe I should indulge in a hobby that engages my brain whilst he is enjoying his lazy spell - like you say i'm sure it wont last long!

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Fri 28-Aug-09 16:29:43

DD is 21mo and has been doing this for a while - 7am wake up (finally, after a year of pre 5ams!!) and a 2 hour nap at about 10:30. Bed at 7:00 - 7:30pm. Usually sleeps through... (again, finally.. been a long time coming)

Sometimes she'll sleep for more like 3 hours and always goes to bed absolutely fine, but wakes up at an ungodly hour. If She's had a long sleep in the middle of the day I make sure I take her for a run around the park for at least an hour to tire her out.

god, sorry that was so rambling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now