Talk

Advanced search

Do you think Diet effects Toddler Sleep?

(7 Posts)
ssmile Tue 25-Aug-09 19:35:26

Our DD is 2.5mths and has never been a great sleeper, but since putting her in a bed 3months ago its got really bad. The GP gave me Priton to try which worked for 3nights gave us all good rest. I had hoped it would break the cycle as do not want to give her drugs but change her behaviour. She goes to sleep fine at 7pm then wakes midnight onwards and stays up for 2-4hrs maybe settle by 4am then up to start the day at 6am. My mother in law had similar problems with her DD and mentioned that she had to really watch her diet. No sugar, fruit, sweets, 'e-numbers' after noon. I wonder if other MNs had tried this did it help?. We don't give sweets but she loves fruit.

ssmile Tue 25-Aug-09 19:49:29

bump

ssmile Tue 25-Aug-09 21:04:13

Has anyone tried Homeopathy remedies? I have just read about some drops which supposed to help induce calm. Our DD has a very active imagination/mind and is now overtired can't switch off to get a full nights sleep.

HaggisNeepsnTatties Tue 25-Aug-09 21:06:06

Carbs at dinner time are great to encourage sleep....pasta/potatoes etc

Never give my dcs juice. Water or milk only.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 25-Aug-09 21:13:24

sympathies...it is a habit, a bodily one, and once broken it will be ok...the question is how to break it.

have you tried a sticker chart with a prize at the end of it, for her staying in her bed all night. explain that she doesn't have to be asleep, but she does have to stay in bed quietly so as not to wake you up...

i agree that diet can affect sleep, not to much sugar at bedtime, milk has sleepy effect...

has she explained to you why she is awake? loo? scared? that might help...

ssmile Tue 25-Aug-09 21:31:43

She has always been lively mind never a great sleeper we have battled from day one. I realised on Sunday she had some dried fruit at 3pm and then was running around the house like a loonie half an hour later. She loves her fresh or dried fruit but someone mentioned the fruit has high sugar content and could be contributing to it? She has loads of milk, loves it.
Will think about the sticker chart as she likes the one for potty training but I thought it may be confusing having two charts?
Have just found a book on Amazon call 'Fed Up' by OZzie author all about diet and sleep problems so have ordered it to have a read as I do think there is a link as my DH twin sister had the same behavour as a child (actualy and as an adult to!)

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 25-Aug-09 21:34:07

All of above works for ds. He has other issues which affects his sleep, but there is no option for any sleep if anything you have listed is given. There isnt anything recommend for the under 6's even homeopathy wise. We have use mind activities to calm. A bit like meditation but to specifically slow down the brain.

CLose your eyes, imagine you are walking along a beach. You can hear the sound of the waves crashing. Crshh, crshh. Can you smell the salt of the sea? I can hear a seagull. the sea is lovely and clear. what colour is it today. Blue/green/bluey green/greeny blue. The sand is soft and squishy

etc.

COmbined with a massage this has worked to slow and calm ds. The other approach has been to shove as much information/brain exercising work into him that his brain is knackered thus allowing physical exhertion to allow him to sleep.

We have to avoid oranges, strawberries and tomatos after lunch. But grapes and raisins all the times. Frutose is key avoided in this house. It does help. Other fruit is ok in reasonable quantities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now