Talk

Advanced search

9 month old waking every 1-2 hrs please help!!!!!!

(14 Posts)
kerry16 Mon 30-May-05 08:36:12

My ds who is just over 9 months, has started waking every 1 - 2 hrs during the night. He goes to bed about 7pm after his usual bedtime routine - bath, bottle, cuddle, bed, and then sleeps till 11 - 12pm.
He then stirs for a drink ( which he has done since having a bad case croup at 5months which lasted nearly 2 months) back to sleep, but then he contantly wakes every 1- 2 hrs, until 5am when he is wide awake.
It doesn't help because he is still in our room until building work has finished on his bedroom, which should be in the next couple of weeks. I am also heavily pregant again, so I am absolutely knackered all of the time.
Does anyone have any suggestions before I go completely inasane.

Distel Mon 30-May-05 09:01:14

Sory, I have no help but loads of sympathy.

DS did the same at about 9 months but I just stopped breast feeding him. When he wasn't getting what he wanted, he just started sleeping through the night.

Hope someone else can help you, good luck x x

piglit Tue 31-May-05 10:01:07

I'd be very interested to know what other people think Kerry as I have the same problem. My ds (7 months old) has been a good sleeper for a few weeks (6.30pm - 5am) and suddenly can't settle himself. He sleeps til midnight then wakes every couple of hours. He used to go all night until 5am without a feed and now he's back to a big bottle at 12 and at 4. Last night he woke at 12, 2, 4 and 6. We seem to be going backwards....

bakedpotato Tue 31-May-05 10:04:47

Would recommend Dr Richard Ferber's Solve Your Child Sleep Problems? He's the man.

nellie245 Tue 31-May-05 14:05:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kerry16 Tue 31-May-05 14:52:48

Hi my big boy has been on solids for what seems forver, he has three meals a day and snacks in between of fruit etc!!
Last night I gave him his bottle at 7ish, he had most of it apart from the last 2ounces. He then slept till 10:30 ish, hubby gave him the last two ounces then, and he slept till 2:30 when I just gave him water. He had a few sips and then went straight back to sleep after a quick cuddle.
He woke at 5am and was wide awake ready to play. So, becaus I was so knackered I brought him in with us and he flaked straight out, waking at 7am!!!
It doesn't help that our curtains are very light, so as soon as the sun comes up, daylight floods our bedroom. Hopefully, it will only be for a couple more weeks and then he'll be in his own room, with black out curtains, and no mummy&daddy to watch!!
I am just going to progress with the water, although i will have a look for the book that was recomended, thanks!!

patkica Tue 31-May-05 15:30:35

We had the same problem, off and on in the first year. Controlled crying really worked for us and he would now sleep until 10 if we let him. He can and should sleep through and if ours is typical, he is so much happier when he does sleep through. Alos, when he wakes, he's so happy, you;d never know that we had done controlled crying the night before. It worked for us in 3 days and life is better now.

dinny Tue 31-May-05 15:33:43

Kerry, my ds is nearly 9 months and the same. wakes so often for a quick feed/cuddle. he's also in our room (sure that has a LOT to do with it). Annoyingly we have no bedroom for him to go into. No advice really - it's a habit. I'm too soft to do controlled crying, though I think at 9 months your ds is old enough, in the eyes of HVs etc....
ps blimey, good on you being heavily pg again! when are you due?

otto Tue 31-May-05 15:47:36

Could it be teething? My ds is 14 months and usually a couple of weeks before a new teeth appears he wakes frequently throughout the night.

tew Tue 31-May-05 16:24:42

I have exactly the same problem with my dd who is 9 months old. Was a model sleeper till 5 months when she started nursery, now has such fun there 3 days a week that she doesn't sleep during the day, so is permanently knackered. Probably means she doesn't eat enough when she's there.

So she's now going to sleep at 7pm, waking up at 1 and 6 for bottles, which I give into her as I'm 20 weeks pregnant and find it less tiring than listening to her cry. But no longer! Going to have to get firm, so controlled crying starts on Wed night (as don't go to work Thu and Fri), so hopefully may be able to crack it.

Very annoying that she's gone backwards though!

kerry16 Wed 01-Jun-05 07:53:16

Hi
I tried controlled crying last night, and he only woke at 12 for a quick drink. he stirred at 3ish but quickly went back to sleep after a quick rub on his back. I will continue with the cc.
My 'next' baby is due in six weeks time on July 13th!! We were so shocked to find out just before Christmas that I was already two months gone, but it was a lovely surprise considering being told we probably would never conceive.
It just feels like i've been pregnant forever - I was only 'not' pregnant for six weeks after the birth!
Its amazing really, we spent 16 months trying for our first after my Ectopic, and then without even trying I fall immediately for our second!
Congrats Tew on your being 20 weeks pregnant, its absolutely knackering isnt it!! However, i have found that the pregnancy has whizzed by compared to the first, prob cause I havent got time to sit and think about it.

tew Wed 01-Jun-05 09:36:40

Absolutely, feel rather sorry for this little one, as so rarely think about it! Although had a horrid miscarriage dream last night which shook me up a lot.

Congratulations kerry16, double bonus, shows that doctors don't know everything! Hope it all goes well.

piglit Wed 01-Jun-05 09:43:27

Thanks for all your advice. My ds has been weaned since about 18 weeks (he's 7 months now)and eats really well. We had a much better night last night and he slept from 6.30 - 5.30, had 8oz and then went back to sleep until 7. Just like the good old days! I just don't understand why he has gone from settling himself so well for the last 4 or 5 months to taking forever to go to sleep every time he goes down and getting really upset about it. Each to their own but I just can't do cc - I have tried and he becomes totally hysterical and it takes 40 minutes to calm down. Also, the fact that it's such a sudden change from his usual behaviour makes me think that something is actually bothering him and I ought to try to work out what that might be. He has his 2 bottom teeth but nothing on top so far. Oh well, I keep telling myself it's just a phase and it will pass....

kerry16 Wed 01-Jun-05 12:08:47

Hi tew,
don't read anything into your awful dream, just put it down to the mind playing tricks on you.
Everything is so different this time around, I didn't even start to show until 6months, whereas with my first, I was in maternity clothes by 12 weeks and I put a massive six stone on with him!! Thankfully, I lost two stone during the labour, and then managed to loose a stone in the six weeks I wasnt pregnant! This time I have put on just over a stone.
I just want the baby to be here now, I cant wait to see ds's face when he sees her - he loves babies and every time he sees a tiny one he just wants to cuddle it. He seems to forget that he is a baby too. He cuddles my bump at night when I have a cuddle with him on our bed before I out him in his cot. He finds it really strange when the baby kicks out at him from my tummy.

Piglet,
I'm glad you had a better night last night, it probably is due to teething, mine has got two at top and two at bottom, but I think that there's one coming through on his left handside because he is contanstly biting on everything on that side.
Good Luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: