Talk

Advanced search

Should I take dummy away?

(4 Posts)
furrymonster Mon 24-Aug-09 16:40:28

Hia, I am having problems with DD waking frequently at night, sometimes every hour. I think she is waking because of normal sleep cycle stuff, but not being able to get back to sleep without her dummy.

We have given her a nu-nu (lovey) to cuddle and she has sucked that a couple of times.

I'm wondering whether, now she is 7 months old, to wean her off the dummy and let her suck nu-nu if she wants to in the hope of her learning to go back to sleep on her own.

Will sucking nu-nu which is basically a soft toy do her any harm, eg sucking in air giving her colic (please not colic again!)?

Will taking her dummy away be to stressful at the moment as we have only just a week ago moved her to her own room?

I'm a my wits end so any ideas/opinions will be gratefully received.

mrswill Wed 26-Aug-09 21:10:37

We had this problem, then i bought a sleepytot, which is a comforter that you can fix dummies to, in its velcro paws, and we havent had to go in to put the dummy back since! google sleepytot and the website comes up.

mrswill Wed 26-Aug-09 21:14:14

Sorry didnt make that clear, i think my dd can find the dummies more easily around the cot, as she just has to grab her sleepy tot and get it. I only ever let her have a dumy on the sleepytot too so she doesnt get confused.

girlsyearapart Wed 26-Aug-09 21:26:03

we had similar with dd2 and her dummy. She started finding it herself in the cot and putting it in at about 9ish mo. I was on the verge of buying the sleepytot though it looks good!
dd1 has a blanket (with a bell in it) so she can easily find it but it's no easier weaning them off a blanket than a dummy and at least with dummies they usually don't care which one they have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now