Talk

Advanced search

Sudden change from self-settling to screaming, bunched up...

(9 Posts)
NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 13:16:08

DS is nearly 2, and has been great at self-settling in the evening - DH reads stories, then lights out and a few games (tickling, nursery rhymes etc) before he says 'bye bye' - and sometimes DS would even say 'bye bye' first. We'd leave him to it and he would just rummage away for a bit, playing with soft toys and nattering to himself, then quieten down and drop off.

He was v ill a week ago Weds (vomiting, thought it was Norovirus but we also poss had suspected mild swine flu), and now after we leave him, he starts crying. DH thought it was to keep us there, playing, but I'm not so sure - he can go pretty quiet in between times, then start crying again. And he's all bunched up, knees to stomach. DH didn't think he was in pain, as up until that point he'd been happy enough. Last night he went to sleep quite quickly when I just stayed there, stroking his hair. He woke this morning with sudden crying again.

So - any thoughts? Could it be illness or teeth, even if no signs of pain before bed? Do you think he might be scared of going to sleep (bad dreams - is there an age that children start to be more aware of bad dreams?) or could it be some kind of colic at his age? But then he's also bunched up just now at nap time...

TIA...

colditz Sat 22-Aug-09 13:18:23

Did he throw up in the night? This can be scary for little children.

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 13:35:13

Hi Colditz - hmmm, when he was badly sick that was on Weds afternoon, and had all cleared by Weds night and he was tired so went to sleep OK. But thinking about it he had been awake a few times the night before, and a bit sick then. However I got him out of bed, changed it and him, comforted him and he went back to sleep OK and woke bright as a button on Weds morning.

So I suppose it could be this. If it is, any suggestions for how to help him settle again now?

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 16:42:03

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 18:07:34

Anyone? please?

colditz Sat 22-Aug-09 18:48:23

gradual withdrawel
Stay with him until he is asleep for a few days.
Then stay with him until he is ^nearly asleep. Tell him "back in a minute - then do go back, just to check on him.

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 19:50:57

Will try this tonight and see how it goes. Thanks smile.

colditz Sat 22-Aug-09 21:13:49

hhow did it go?

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 21:44:00

Funnily enough, he must have known I was posting about this - all back to normal, was even happy in the bath <relieved smile emoticon>. He actually told DH to go, said 'night night'.

So, fingers crossed that, whatever the problem was, it's better now.

Thanks for checking smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now