Talk

Advanced search

DS still cuddled to sleep at 15mo. Anyone else?

(21 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Fri 21-Aug-09 16:28:51

That's it really.

He likes it, and so do we. DH usually settles him and sometimes if I try he asks for DH. Can take from 5 mins to half an hour.

The nights it takes longer we sometimes think we should try and do something about it.

He has never wanted to go in his cot awake. He gets very outraged very quickly.

When I mentioned it to another mum recently she looked horrified, not in a judgey way, more "poor you" sort of thing.

WWYD?

doggiesayswoof Fri 21-Aug-09 16:29:56

Oh and DH cuddles him to sleep for daytime nap too. Once he is asleep he usually sleeps well. <touch wood>

NotEvenTheTrees Fri 21-Aug-09 16:31:27

"He likes it, and so do we"

Well that's it then.

I still cuddle my dd to sleep and she's 2.3yrs old. Why not. What's half an hour out of your day to soothe your child off to sleep.

One day he won't want cuddling to sleep and you'll miss it.

gypsymoon Fri 21-Aug-09 16:36:31

My DD2 is still cuddled to sleep and sometimes falls asleep bf - she is 22 months

My DD1 is 4 next week and we did the same for her until DD2 was born...she sleeps like the dead now and has done since she was around two...in fact I laboured for 3 hours in the same room and she didn't twitch. She has no night terrors and is (usually) very happy to go to bed as long as she gets her story and songs - which is perfectly normal

If you like it and he likes it, why stop? It won't last forever and it the time will come when he won't want so many cuddles.sad

Treasure it...it can be exhausting but how peaceful, gentle and loving a way for a child to go sleep

bamboobutton Fri 21-Aug-09 16:39:20

i still cuddle my 18mo to sleep for naps and nighttime too!

i don't want to spend hours shushing and patting when i can have him asleep in 10mins!

i can put him the cot when we go to bed at 10.30 and he sleeps untill 7am. heaven.

Tippytoes Fri 21-Aug-09 16:39:47

My dd is 2.2 and we have always had to cuddle her and sing her to sleep, although it can sometimes take up to an hour! And it has to be in our bedroom, not her own. Then we carry her to her room when she is asleep and she usually sleeps all night then.

My ds, who is now 7, was exactly the same and now he doesn't really like his mum cuddling him, thinks he is too big - so enjoy it while it lasts I say!

Ceebee74 Fri 21-Aug-09 16:42:09

Did the same with Ds1 - although it was just lying next to him in our bed and then moving him into his room when he was asleep (that is "very bad" according to most books wink) - it meant I got to snuggle up with him, and it made our evenings more relaxed as he always fell asleep within 5 minutes and we knew then we would get the rest of our evening to ourselves.

I stopped when he was about 18 months iirc - he was settling himself for his naps so I figured he didn't really need me...so I just tried it one evening and he was absolutely fine and has been ever since.

Never did it with DS2 as obviously had DS1 to tend to in the evenings aswell - the short straw of being a second child I guess!!

Celery Fri 21-Aug-09 16:42:51

Still cuddling my three and half year old to sleep, and dreading the day when he doesn't need it any more ( last baby ).

PeasPlease Fri 21-Aug-09 16:49:41

DD is 3 and still needs me on her bed with her but seeing as she seemed to be completely allergic to sleeping when she was a baby I consider it a small price to pay!

I keep meaning to make a sticker chart with the promise of sweet treats if she can go to sleep on her own.

Tommy Fri 21-Aug-09 16:53:04

DS2 was cuddled to sleep until he was about 4. He still likes to be sung to sleep now and he's 6 next week.

I can think of worse things smile

HappyChildminderBerkshire Fri 21-Aug-09 17:01:33

Nothing better than those snuggles. One day they won't want to been seen within 5 metres of parents smile Enjoy it while it lasts.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 21-Aug-09 17:09:49

I was still cuddling ds to sleep until the last year anyway and he's 3, in fact he only stopped co-cleeping 4 months ago when we moved house and he went to share a room with dd in bunk beds.
If you and dh are happy then enjoy it.
I used to get the poor you looks so stopped telling people I was happy ds was happy and dd used to come and cuddle with us it was lovely.
I still miss it sometimes actually.

turtle23 Fri 21-Aug-09 21:23:32

What do all of you do when it suddenly becomes longer? DS used to get to sleep in 10-30 minutes but when teething it can take up to 2 hours. I'm 26 weeks pg and by the time I've got him down atm I'm ready for bed myself and those evening jobs just never get done. I keep thinking maybe I should get him to self settle (DH would prefer it) but I hate the thought. He's 16 months...any words of wisdom? (This too shall pass is my mantra)

turtle23 Fri 21-Aug-09 21:24:11

Should add he's in a bed not a cot as I co-sleep with him when I go to bed.

ches Sat 22-Aug-09 04:23:41

When teething pain interferes with sleep I medicate. HTH.

doggiesayswoof Mon 24-Aug-09 10:18:53

Thanks all and I'm sorry I didn't come back to this thread, RL too hectic

We are happy with cuddling him and will just carry on I think

It would be useful sometimes if he could self-settle, especially when one of us is doing bedtime on our own - DD gets her stories etc and it's tricky doing both of them sometimes

The other night I was cuddling him and it was taking a bit longer.

DD was shouting from the other room (obviously keeping him awake) and the puppy was whining to be fed. Pup just has to wait of course but the whining is sooo annoying.

On nights like that it would be handy to be able to put him in his cot and let him fall asleep. But he's so lovely and huggabele and I will definitely miss it when it stops.

doggiesayswoof Mon 24-Aug-09 10:21:10

turtle I would give calpol in that situation as long as it was only once in a while.

Ashton and parsons powders work quite well with DS too.

FlightHattendant Mon 24-Aug-09 10:30:59

Half an hour is nothing wink

seriously, I still feed ds2 to sleep, he's 2 and nearly a quarter. You could try something else but imo he'll gradually alter his patterns anyway...

turtle23 Tue 25-Aug-09 06:39:08

My prob is that his teething goes for about 5-6 weeks per tooth with eruption cysts/hematomas and the pain and irritation are not soothed by calpol/homeopathy. Ibuprofen is the only thing that works and you cant give that for 6 weeks solid!

turtle23 Tue 25-Aug-09 06:39:33

Sorry for hijack.

doggiesayswoof Tue 25-Aug-09 11:11:59

Oh dear turtle - how rubbish for him and you.
Big sympathy. When DS has long bouts for days and days DH and I just resign ourselves to getting nothing much done. The place becomes a midden. It's not fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now