Talk

Advanced search

Temper Tantrums at night - Help please i'm going crazy

(12 Posts)
sparksey Wed 19-Aug-09 09:11:44

Hi I'm new to this site and need some help. My DD (who is 2 in Nov) has over the last week or so started having major tantrums and they have now started in the middle of the night. No specific time just full blown screaming, banging the cot pulling hair out etc etc. During the day you can sort of cope with it with distraction/ignoring whatever works !! But what should I do about night time. Do I go in and calm her(took hour and half the other night or do I just let her get on with it. I understand and want to be consistent. She has never been a good sleeper and very rarely sleeps through. I have just moved so don't know the HV yet. Any help advice would be gratefully received. DH is going mad and not the most patient of people so is no help what so ever I have placed this thread under Behaviour/development but think its better here ! I don't think they are night terrors as she has the same tantrums during the day.

sparksey Wed 19-Aug-09 10:34:56

Amyone ?????

Supercherry Wed 19-Aug-09 11:37:20

Sarksey, I was going to say night terrors but you seem to have ruled that out.

Tantrums have a cause, so what do you think is causing them?

melmog Wed 19-Aug-09 11:53:56

I was going to say night terrors too. Only because my dd had them and like yours, they looked and sounded the same as her daytime meltdowns. The difference being she really wasn't properly awake and there was no trigger (as she had been in her bed asleep).

It may not be the same but we tried leaving her, just standing quietly outside her room in case she properly woke or hurt herself. They never lasted more than a few mins and she was asleep on the floor.

sparksey Wed 19-Aug-09 11:59:14

During the day can be anything from me saying no, to her just getting frustated with something she's trying to do or her brother not letting her play with his toys - typical stuff really. Night time - got no idea, I have tried the light off in case that was waking her, tried light on, she has a drink, she's not hot/cold or wet. it's just like she wakes up babbles for a bit and then goes into one !! If i go into her the minute I put down in her bed she starts again.

melmog Wed 19-Aug-09 12:19:12

You may not want to but I'd try leaving her, just to see? It might work.....

Supercherry Wed 19-Aug-09 12:23:52

Sparksey, they really do sound like night terrors, what is it making you think it isn't night terrors but tantrums?

sparksey Wed 19-Aug-09 12:25:20

Yeah have tried that and the first time it went on for half an hour, next night 20 mins and next 10 mins and thats where we seem to have stopped at. Just wondered really whether I should be consistent with what I do during the day and at night and if there was anything else I could do/try apart from buying the entire street earplugs

sparksey Wed 19-Aug-09 13:15:31

Supercherry haven't ruled it out but she is normally awake for awhile babbling, laughing etc and then just seems to start banging on the cot and this gets louder and harder and then the screaming and yelling starts.

babyOcho Thu 20-Aug-09 23:52:09

DD who is 17mo has being doing the same thing for a few nights this week as well. I never thought of night terrors!

TrinityRhino Thu 20-Aug-09 23:54:22

I really think it is night terrors

dd2 used to have them at least twice a week
wore me out
was horrid but does go away eventually

scaredoflove Fri 21-Aug-09 00:09:56

I also say night terrors

When she is 'awake' babbling does she interact with you as normal? If not, chances are she is asleep at this stage. Sleepwalkers/talkers look awake

If night terrors, all we could do was to talk gently and reassure until calm enough to get back to bed (still asleep) Sometimes you could talk into the dream and get a normalish response. I would do the above, even if it is tantrums. Just be gentle and reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now