Talk

Advanced search

how to get DS to sleep without breastfeeding?

(6 Posts)
nomorechoc Tue 18-Aug-09 16:42:32

help. DS, 15 months wont go off to sleep without it. (hasnt breastfed in the dayhtime for several monmths). the worst thing is when he wakes up at night , which he does several times a night, as wont be placated any other way except breast. help pleasse

moondog Tue 18-Aug-09 16:44:48

You have a choice-go with it or stop.
If you want to stop, it might be easier for you to physically remove yuorself frmo the situation for a few days.

Is this feasible?

nomorechoc Tue 18-Aug-09 21:27:20

hmmm - reading this makes me think that its not the end of the world if i carry on for a bit - will he at some point decide to stop tho himself? - if its within the next year, ok, but any more than that i dont think i could handle.

CharCharGabor Tue 18-Aug-09 21:34:12

If you're happy to go with the flow and wait for him to stop then I personally would. DD has just turned 2 and she has just started putting herself to sleep. I didn't do anything, she just decided to do it herself. If you don't want to carry on, then I would do what moondog said smile

Breizhette Tue 18-Aug-09 21:38:29

I have been there twice.
Both times, what worked was my mum taking over nights for 3 nights. I slept in another part of the house.
DD (10 months) got very angry and woke 4 times the first night, and only twice the 2nd night, and it was all sorted by the 3rd.
For DS (9 months) it was harder, and it took several months as I would give in if he was upset (and I still do!). He's 1.1 now and falls asleep on his own 95% of the time.
He's so much calmer now as he does get much better sleep though I think. He use to wake up looking for my breast, which I think they all do.

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 07:11:27

Only you know what is tolerable Nomorechoc.
I drew the line at 12 months but before that I was able to tolerate night wakings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now