Talk

Advanced search

two year olds - how much day sleep, and is 2 hours affecting dd's recent inability to nod off as quickly

(18 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Sat 15-Aug-09 20:42:42

DD is two next week, she has 2 hours from around 12.30 in the day, we take her up for stories, etc at 7ish, and usually dp cuddles her for around 20- 30 minutes and she's off by 8. for the last couple of weeks though, it's taken nearly an hour. If we're out and about in the day, she might only have an hour's sleep and is fine til bedtime.
I think she might be in the process of not needing as much daytime sleep and was thinking of waking her after 1 1/2 hours to see if she nods off quicker at the end of the day. How much do your 2 year olds sleep in the day? she cut down to one sleep when she was 13mo, if that gives an idea of the kind of sleeper she is, she's sleeping til 7ish.

hayleybop Sat 15-Aug-09 21:50:33

My 2.5 old was and is the same, she has had a week off no naps just! But today fell asleep whilst watching tv at 5.30pm!!!
It's a annoying.
I found if I did wake her up from her 2 hour nap early she would cry for an hour so I decided to leave her be..and just end up putting her to bed later which I guess is just a phaze because soon she wouldn't be having no naps and go to bed with no problem....
So I have had nearly 6 months of her napping, somedays, her not napping...I try to let her nap everyday but if it comes 2.30pm and she still hasnt had one I think she dosnt need one...
The crap thing is if they dont nap you may find them asleep somewhere in the house and then it's really crap as they wont go to bed untill 10pm like my DD! Play it by ear and see how it goes, she may be o.k if you cut her naps down...But it is just a phaze they go through like everything else...

hophophippidtyhop Sat 15-Aug-09 21:59:56

She's usually pretty good if i wake her up, thankfully! I did wonder if she was getting ready to start cutting her naps down as she was early changing to one nap.Tonight we had to walk away and let her cry for a few minutes as she just wanted to play, hated doing that but she just didn't want to know and it was nearly nine! Gonna just have to try cutting down by half hour and hope it works!

lilacpink Sat 15-Aug-09 22:08:52

My DD is 3yr plus 4 mths, she stopped having naps at around 2yr3mth on some days, by 2yr 7mths we were all happier with her staying awake. She sleeps 7pm-7/8am and has 'quiet' times in the day, i.e. after we have activities we'll let her watch TV or encourage her to relax. She knows that word well so now tells us when she's tired and needs to relax. At creche she lies in a corner when tired (they have a pillow area). I know some DCs who stopped sleeping in the day at around a year (v hard work all day and not particularly good sleep in the day), and some who still nap occassionally (hard work at night!).

AchduLieberHimmel Sat 15-Aug-09 22:10:13

dd gave up naps at 13mo!

hophophippidtyhop Sat 15-Aug-09 22:20:34

lilacpink, I think that's how it's going to be for me too. I shouldn't be surprised really, dp and his mum's side all seem to not need much sleep. This week I have had to encourage her to sleep in the day, that's what made me think I should rethink it a bit. Good to know it wouldn't be that unusual if she did drop them soon, kept thinking " but they're supposed to nap til 3yo at least!"

LackaDAISYcal Sat 15-Aug-09 22:29:38

It's a tricky age ime as they still need a nap (or the witching hours between teatime and bedtime are too awful to bear), but it does seem to throw the nighttime settling out.

I also think there is an element of realising they can control their own environment as well and also they have twigged that interesting thngs sometimes happen after bedtime that they want to be part of; my DD was two in June, and over the last few weeks has been a nightmare to get to settle at night; wanting story after story, and repeatedly getting out of bed or just shouting for things that she doesn't need or want. she just wants to do anything other than sleep.

She incidentally still has a nap, but if she sleeps for more than an hour, it definately has an impact on how quickly she will settle at night. Her activity levels make a big difference as well though, as do a bit of fresh air, so i always make sure she has a good "run" after her afternoon nap!

bigchris Sat 15-Aug-09 22:32:42

my dd had given up naps by two as well

crokky Sat 15-Aug-09 22:48:54

My DS had given up naps by 2. My DD is 16m and she is giving up naps - she didn't have one today, but some days she will need one. Children vary hugely - I know a 4yo who still likes a nap.

JodieO Sat 15-Aug-09 22:50:04

My 2 year old doesn't nap in the day and hasn't done since he was about 1ish.

feedthegoat Sat 15-Aug-09 22:52:03

My ds dropped his naps at 2.2 completely. If he does nod off on a long car journey we pay for it at bedtime. yesterday he was asleep for 15 minutes maximum in the car but was still bouncing around his bedroom at 10pm.

JodieO Sat 15-Aug-09 22:52:34

Also, he never goes to bed at 10, far too late. His bedtime is 7/8pm and wakes between 6 and 8am.

Ceolas Sat 15-Aug-09 22:54:15

My DD3 is 2 at the end of the month and is a nightmare at bedtime if she naps in the day (unless a very late bedtime is planned, eg, last night we were at a party).

Most days she doesn't sleep at all. It's difficult around teatime, but I'd rather know she was going to go to bed easily.

I'd say the nap is definitely the problem, but up to you how you handle it. Could you try a day with no sleep or maybe an hour or so and see what effect it has?

Bibithree Sat 15-Aug-09 22:56:06

My DTs have just turned 2 and still have (and need) 2 hours after lunch - usually 12:30-2:30, if they have any longer they don't go down as well at night.

But at the same age, dd1 was barely sleeping in the day at all, only the occasional nap in the car.

hophophippidtyhop Sat 15-Aug-09 22:56:18

Good to see it's normal, but darn, I didn't want to lose my lunch break yet! I think you sound spot on, lacksadaisy, tonight she started singing, when I suggested time for a nap in the week there was a real lack of interest, altough she will go to sleep.I've been taking her to the park most days (only across the road). I'll cut the sleep down next week and see what that does. Thanks everyone.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 15-Aug-09 23:29:44

just another wee thought; this week we have been doing a wee recap on the day, and encouraging her to shut her eyes and "see" the things that she was doing as a way of relaxing her.....after an hour of screaming for teddy/dolly/drink/breakfast cereal/whatever she thinks of next, it really does seem to help. She calms right down and although she isn't actually asleep, at least she is quietly contemplating and that in turn helps her nod off.

Naps have been getting more of an ordeal as well, so will need to roll that tactic out at nap-time as well.

hophophippidtyhop Sun 16-Aug-09 06:46:36

I've been saying, "close your eyes, time for bed" and she physically closes her eyes with her hands! She easily survives on an hours sleep. Think I will leave her til a bit later for the afternoon nap and wake an hour later. In theory I hope that makes her want to sleep in the day and more ready at night.

kwaker5 Sun 16-Aug-09 21:58:12

Sometimes they will go through a phase of not settling well at bedtime (not sure why) but they do still need the nap. We thought it was time to drop DS's at about 2.4 but ended up letting him have it back! He is 2.10 now and at the moment does better with one (vile by about 4pm otherwise!).

I would say that if behaviour deteriorates then re-introduce it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now