Talk

Advanced search

Help - I've had enough

(7 Posts)
kazbeth Thu 13-Aug-09 17:21:22

My 7 month old just won't nap in the day. She then ends up all grouchy all day and wants to feed all the time. I spend my whole day just changing nappies, emptying potties, breastfeeding, giving breakfast/lunch/dinner to the 2 of them. I have no time for cleaning at all so my house is a dump - I don't even have time to wash up most of the time let along anything else. I literally go between nappies and feeding back to lunch to feeding etc etc. It's driving me completely mad and I'm starting to take it out on them both by shouting and I hate myself for that.

How do I get my youngest to nap? She'll only sleep on my lap or in bed with me which is impossible when you have another child to look after. I've tried going upstairs and lying with her feeding till she falls asleep but either my eldest comes up and wakes her up or she lasts about 10 minutes then wakes up screaming if I'm not there. She won't take a bottle - I've tried all the tips on here. She won't even drink from a cup - she just chews the teat/spout and doesn't suck on it at all. An open cup just ends up all down her so I haven't had a break in 7 months and I'm knackered.

My relationship with my eldest is really suffering because of this as I just don't have time to do anything with her.

Help please

hayleybop Thu 13-Aug-09 19:54:27

I dont suppose she will take a dummy either...With my first daughter I always used to push her around the bloke once, rain or shine and she would always nap in pushchair and if it was really raining drive around in the car or pick a time of day I knew she needed a nap like on the way home from shopping at the super market ect...bit impractical I know but we have a dog so it's killing two birds with one stone, he gets a walk and she gets a nap.. Still take her now and she is 2.5. Although she hasnt had a nap now for a whole week so think she dosnt need them anymore. My 9 month has only just discovered a dummy! Nap times are a breeze, a breath of fresh air, pop dummy in, stuff cuddly blanket under her arm which she has had since birth and cuddle, lie her down in cot half awake and leave the room...Naps are difficult hey but I would try to stop feeding her to sleep if you can as she is associating feeding with sleeping and your not getting a brake...
Hope this is of some help...

kazbeth Thu 13-Aug-09 20:21:27

Thanks hayleybop. You're right she won't take a dummy either. She used to nap in the pushchair but doesn't seem to want to do that now either. gah - eldest crying have to go

nomoresleep Thu 13-Aug-09 22:22:46

Sounds awful, you poor thing Will she sleep in a sling? I mean a proper sling, not the baby bjorn things. This is how I manage to get through the day with my nap-resistant 4-month old and still have any time for an older DC. It's not ideal, but it might be worth a go?

kittypink Fri 14-Aug-09 12:54:03

Bless your heart, i hope it gets better soon. We bought a cd of wave sounds which we put on as part of DD's nap time routine. It is a bit of white noise which calms her, but also she associates it with nap time and drowns out any external noises that would otherwise wake her.

We also use a different blanket for nap times so that day time sleeping is different to night time sleep.

She often only sleeps for 30 mins 3 times a day but its better than none.

Could she be having a developmental surge? They can be proper nap-avoiders when that happens.

I second the use of a sling, we have a close baby sling that we got off ebay and that was a massive help when DD wouldn't nap. Its a kind of hands free kit!!

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 07:42:51

Everything is so much easier said than done isn't it? I had one like that with three older DCs and my house looked like a tip and I thought I would go nuts. This screaming, non-sleeping, constant feeding, etc. went on from birth to toddlerhood, unfortunately. Just to get the house done so that it wasn't a hazard to anyone, I put baby in a back carrier and hoovered while carrying her, also cooked dinner this way, tidied up countertops, tables, etc. But I could never pick up anything much off the floor with baby on my back. Had to clear up everything at night and hoover in the morning before the place was covered with toys again. She was a really loud cryer too and that wore me out; she hated the car, the supermarket drove her nuts, loud noises drove her wild. She spat out the dummy, and refused to even open her mouth for it. When she started talking she turned the corner (18 mos or so when she could express herself, I think). She's an angel now, glad I didn't strangle her... There's a book called The High Need (Needs?) Baby, or something like that, by William and Martha Sears, that saved my life, basically encouraged me to bear with it, all would be well in the end, and it really was.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 07:48:52

Want to add that after reading the book I felt I really liked that little cranky baby of mine. There was no other book out there that I had ever read that described what I was dealing with or described my own feelings of utter, wiped-out despair. I don't know where you're going to find the time to read it, but if you can, please do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now