Talk

Advanced search

2.5 y/o waking every night

(7 Posts)
Bakersman Tue 11-Aug-09 13:00:29

DD used to be a very good sleeper but has started waking up and crying at her door (stairgate) every night. It has been going on for over a month. All I do is walk her back to her bed and cover her up. I don't talk to her or make eye contact or give any other comfort - as in Toddler Taming - but it hasn't stopped her from doing it every night.
Any ideas how to get her back to her old good sleeper self?
Oh and it happens at different times of night so it's not a neighbour etc waking her up.....

Bakersman Tue 11-Aug-09 21:18:15

Anybody please??

Wonderstuff Tue 11-Aug-09 21:28:08

Have you talked to her about why she is waking? Is she having nightmares?

When I was little I started having regular horrific nightmares and it turned out to be a reaction to tartrazine, which at the time was in orange squash, no idea how my mum worked it out..

If there isn't anything in particular waking her maybe a reward chart for staying in her own bed. I occaisonal bribery works with my 21mo (well worked once after a hellish few weeks)

sam2cats Tue 11-Aug-09 22:10:29

My DD started doing something similar back in Jan when she was 2.2. She woke up at different times in the night and was inconsolable for at least ten mins at a time. It turned out that she was suffering from the night terrors which is very common from about 2 onwards, so she wasn't really awake, which explained why I couldn't calm her down. Thankfully, it was a phase and she is (almost) out of it now but she did it every night for a few months. It could be that your DD is sleepwalking and so when she finds herself at the door wakes up. The only thing you can do with sleepwalking or night terrors is ensure that you keep to a consistent night time routine and try not to put them to bed later than usual, overtiredness makes it worse apparently. I'm sure its just a phase, in the meantime it sounds like you're doing exactly the right things....hope she grows out of it soon...

ches Wed 12-Aug-09 01:26:34

Could also be back molars. DS 2.5 was up four times last night screaming bloody murder. Unfortunately he won't take "baby crack" (ibuprofen) in the night.

Bakersman Wed 12-Aug-09 17:25:58

Have tried to talk to her but she says she doesn't remember waking - but the synic in me thinks she say this because I keep trying to bribe her (TV, chocolate etc - bad mummy!) and she wants the bribe - but maybe you're right, sam and it is sleep walking...
Don't think its teeth as she speaks well and would tell me I hope..... but I guess its worth considering. Ches I know the feeling, she won't take any medicine, not even Calpol which ds loves and always want more of!
Thanks for the replies and sorry I havent been back on until now

ches Sat 15-Aug-09 03:42:34

I don't doubt that she doesn't remember in the morning. DS never remembers his wakings, even if they involve tantrums on the floor for five minutes. I often don't remember entire conversations with my DH if he has woken me in the middle of the night. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now