Talk

Advanced search

DS 2years old. 5am wake-ups. Will not settle. Is he too old for wake to sleep method?

(8 Posts)
SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 11-Aug-09 08:02:59

I think the thread title says it all really, and I know there will be many, many of you out there with the same problem.

DS is in a toddler bed.

Sleeps like a rock from 7.30pm until 5am (some blessing there).

He can wake any time from 5-6am (sometimes 6.30am).

On holiday he went until 7am everyday so it IS possible. He was so exhausted from all the swimming etc I guess.

He is still napping over lunchtime - about and hour and a half.

We tried cutting this for 4 days but it had no effect (did we need to try for longer?)

I just simply cannot accept that 5am is anything other than the middle of the night.

Tsk...we never had this trouble with DD!

rubyslippers Tue 11-Aug-09 08:04:34

i don't think that cutting a daytime nap helps = i think in some cases, the better a toddler sleeps in the day the better they sleep at night

i used WTS when DS was around a year old and it did work - no reason why you can't do it for a 2 year old

it has to be clockwork waking tho - same time each morning

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 11-Aug-09 08:06:49

So 4am you think, if he's tending to get up at 5/5.30am?

How much did you rouse DS when you did it? smile

rubyslippers Tue 11-Aug-09 08:12:18

it needs to be an hour before the wake up

i used to wake DS until he was almost but not quite fully awake - so stroke his cheeks, untuck blankets and he would move/wriggle and briefly open his eyes

i would then leave him to re-settle

we did it for 3 nights, and on the 4th he woke at 5 am (again) so we did it for 6 more nights and it worked

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 11-Aug-09 08:13:39

Thanks Ruby, will give it a try (anything has got to be worth a try).

rubyslippers Tue 11-Aug-09 08:18:40

good luck smile

naturopath Tue 11-Aug-09 08:42:33

sorry, what is wake to slleep? I have the same problem with my 2yo ds. Also, have you tried the bedside light on a timer thing?

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 11-Aug-09 08:45:46

Wake to sleep, I think, is when you wake a child before their natural wake time when they are in a deep sleep, and let them resettle, the theory being that they then go back to the beginning of their sleep cycle and manage another couple of hours.

I have asked my sister to buy him one of those sleeping/waking cow clocks for his birthday in a couple of weeks, which I think is the same idea as the light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now