Talk

Advanced search

What are 'average' sleep patterns for a 4/5 week old baby?

(5 Posts)
joanneg20 Mon 10-Aug-09 12:38:27

I'm just curious.

My 4 1/2 week old baby is basically sleeping from around 10pm until 7am, usually waking 3 times to eat - so waking approx every two hours. He goes straight back to sleep afterwards.

I had been pretty pleased with this, but talking to friends from my antenatal group (I know, I know), they all claim their babies are sleeping 4 or even 5 hours stretches in the night. One said she had to set an alarm to ensure her baby didn't sleep longer than 5 hours!

Are they all lucky? Or lying? Or are their babies the 'average' ones, and mine a bad sleeper? Would be interested to hear others' experiences.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 10-Aug-09 12:47:23

I think you are lucky!! Seriously, we were pacing the floors at this stage and a night feed took about 1.5 hours by the time DS had fed, been changed and then settled down again.

It may be that they are sleeping for a longer stretch sometimes, some every night maybe but things change and nothing is really 'normal'. DS slept through from 12-18 weeks and then started waking 3 times a night again. hmm

DrCosyTiger Mon 10-Aug-09 21:14:07

I think at this stage my LO was sleeping from about 11pm to about 2/3am but then would stay awake for a couple of hours before finally dropping off and sleeping again until about 6 or 7am. I do remember a period when I was almost totally nocturnal - up between about 2-5am most nights, urrgh. It did improve though. By about 2 months she was going 11pm to 5am and for the last 3 weeks or so (now aged 20 weeks) she has been sleeping through. However, Aliba's post (and others I've read) suggest that this is unlikely to last ...

ches Tue 11-Aug-09 04:05:52

Your baby is probably going through the 4 week growth spurt. Your baby is absolutely NOT a "bad sleeper." Your baby is normal, and so are theirs. You're all blessed that your babies can already tell night from day. The "average" baby doesn't until 6 weeks.

ShrimpOnTheBarbie Tue 11-Aug-09 05:24:19

I think it sounds like your baby is doing what mine did - I think it's pretty good going to have a 4 week old feeding and then going back to sleep without expecting a play! Ignore those women who say they have to wake their babies - they'll have horrible teenagers wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: