Talk

Advanced search

How to treat adult insomnia when pregnant

(4 Posts)
doireallyhaveto Fri 07-Aug-09 13:27:55

we're going through quite a stressy patch - buying a house that needs loads of work doing, so renting for bit, major expense, I'm overseeing the builders, etc. I'm 6 weeks pg with no. 2, and insomnia has kicked in big time - I'm waking up at 3am, and unable to get back to sleep. Sooo annoying, particularly as ds is finally sleeping happily til about 7.

I used to take nytol, and I've been told it's ok for occasional use when pg. Problem is, the only time in the last week I've had a reasonable night's sleep was after taking it, and I really don't want to be taking it regularly.

I'm really worried about the effect of this if it goes on for too long, as I went a bit mental when ds had me on major sleep deprivation last autumn. Weeping in public (and alone), fantasising about throwing self under train, that sort of thing. Almost got out of hand until someone suggested controlled crying. Which, by the way, works.

Any thoughts / suggestions? I want to nip this in the bud before it gets scary - just the thought of going through that again terrifies me.

hayleybop Fri 07-Aug-09 14:23:53

Oh I had this whilst pregnant with DD2. It's horrible, i used to wake up at 2am and could get back to sleep for a few hours...Your brain wont stop running things through and it's the worst thing ever, I totally symaphise with you.
It's your hormones that are making you stay awake and it may just be a phase for your first trimester.
I have suffered from insomnia before though and had PND with DD1.
I tryed everything and then nothing worked so went to see my friend who does Reiki and had 3 sessions with her and then it was sorted, no more insomnia.
I did get insomnia in the last trimester but wasnt too stressed out about it as I knew it was because I was pregnant and not depressed....anxious etc..
hope you get some rest

doireallyhaveto Fri 07-Aug-09 20:11:31

funny isn't it, that insomnia can make you consider options that would never have crossed your mind before. I've always been a bit of a sceptic about reiki and the like, but am thinking something other than a chemical solution would be worth exploring.

Oh but the drugs do work...

Think I must just bite the bullet and see the doc, but feel like I'm spending my whole life there - and they really don't need the hassle with the whole swine flu thing.

Gah.

Thank you for the support - glad i'm not alone!

hayleybop Sun 09-Aug-09 18:05:47

Drugs do work and you Can take tamazies or diazipan whilst pregnant, I dont care if people think you cant but my docter and my midwife did say I could take them to get some sleep. They will perscribe you a 2 week course, not enough to get addicted which you wont....anythink for a quick fix, dosnt harm the baby at all. I forgot to say I did try them for a few hellish nights....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now