Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any idea what the horrendous grunting noises in the night are????

(7 Posts)
Hybrid Thu 06-Aug-09 09:22:31

Hi,

I'm actually posting for my friend who isn't able to get on the internet.

She has an 8 week old daughter who has been quite colicky in the early weeks but seems to have settled well with colief and infacol.

After her 2am feed, my friend says she makes the most horrendous grunting noises and squirms about like mad in her sleep. She seems to be in quite a bit of discomformt with it and nothing relieves it. This lasts for about 2 hours and has been going on for 2 weeks now.

They're really strict with making sure they wind her well after each feed and she's extremely regular with her bowels going several times a day.

She doesn't make this noise at any other time during the day or before this 2am feed.

Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated!!

heavenstobetsy Thu 06-Aug-09 09:26:18

no advice I'm afraid, but my dd did this too although her episodes were always first thing in the morning from about 5 to 6.30. No idea why, she just grunted - a lot! In the end we moved her to her own room the noise was so bad!

However, my DD wasn't in any discomfort as far as I could tell - just rowdy ..... and she seemed to grow out of it after a few weeks. The HV didn't think it was anything to worry about at the time

EyeballsintheSky Thu 06-Aug-09 09:28:08

LOL dd sounded like an asthmatic pig in labour as well at that age Unless you know there is something wrong, then it's just one of those delightful things...

jumpingbeans Thu 06-Aug-09 09:28:42

That'll teach me, i nearly broke my finger clicking on this thread

DrCosyTiger Thu 06-Aug-09 13:40:16

Hi Hybrid,

My LO did this too at about the same age. Like Heavens, we had to move her out of our room as we were getting no sleep even when she was sleeping. It worried me at first but despite making such a noise, she rarely woke up, which I'm sure she would have done if she was in genuine distress. I can't remember exactly when (it's all a bit of a sleep deprived haze) but she stopped doing it after a while. I really don't think your friend shulod worry.

Hybrid Fri 07-Aug-09 10:54:25

Thanks all for your messages.

I'll pass it on to my friend - it sounds like it's quite common and nothing too much to worry about. Nice to know that others have experienced the same which is reassuring.

Thanks again!

mcflumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 21:45:37

This is reassuring for us, our 8 week old DD does the same. The noise is incredible, she has being doing this since about 3 weeks old. We were initially extremely worried, up every time she made a noise, but now we just listen to make sure she is OK and are familiar whith what each noise is. It does keep us awake, she does it for about an hour before she finally wakes, so i get an hour less sleep than she does each night. We find swaddling has helped but only because she doesn't bash herslef on the nose and wake herself up. Don't want to move her into her own room just yet, but like heavens between 5-7 am is the worst, she makes a real racket.

Would be nice for her if it stopped over time as I feel she doesn't really get a restful sleep at times.

Sorry no help or advice, just misery loving company!....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now