Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing something wrong here or is it just 'like' this?

(8 Posts)
blondissimo Wed 05-Aug-09 07:10:17

I have a 13 month old ds who was a terrible sleeper in the early days, but surprised us all by sleeping through by 4 months old. I felt so smug luckygrin!
But dear lord he is making up for it now! Since about 6 months old he has been waking up almost every night at least once, and most times 2 or 3. Initially I had put it down to teething, but now I am just tearing my hair out.
I do settle him with a dummy, so sometimes I can literally pop the dummy in and he drifts back off, but last night was a classic example of a bad night - he woke up once really badly crying at midnight, then settled in his cot, then again at 3am, but wouldn't settle so after about 20 minutes, I gave in and brought him into bed. He wriggled about and turned over for over an hour, and when he eventually fell asleep at 4.30am I carried him back to his cot, thinking "Yes, hopefully I'll get a lie in!".........but he was up at 6amsad. I had put him to bed late as well, hoping that he would sleep through. I now feel completely shattered - I am lucky that I am not working at the moment, but due to go back in September and just not sure how I will cope?
I normally give him a sleep after lunch which lasts between an hour and two hours, and then put him to bed around 7pm.
He can self settle, as I've been past his room sometimes and seen him sitting up, and then gone back in 5 minutes and he's asleep, so don't think that's an issue.
On the very odd occasion he will sleep through, but I can't see that I have done anything different on these occasions.
Under normal circumstances I would just battle through, but I am getting married in 3 and a half weeks and I feel like I will be walking down the aisle with slitty eyes and hanging onto my dad!
I just never ever thought I would be getting this little sleep when I had a one yr old!

vonnieisbonnie Wed 05-Aug-09 09:43:30

Ha - brings back memories. One of my girls didn't sleep properly until she was five due to constant night terrors so I know exactly how you feel. Do you think he might be waking up hungry? Perhaps he needs a bit more solids? Also, putting children to bed late in the hope that they will wake later just doesn't work. They will just be cranky the next day!!! Does he sleep alot through the day - maybe you could reduce day nap time. Sorry that I can't suggest a magical cure - sometimes babies just go in and out of different phases. Really hope he settles down for you and you able to enjoy your wedding.......

blondissimo Wed 05-Aug-09 10:04:49

Thanks vonnie - He might be hungry, but I do kind of let him feed himself - mind you he is a big boy for his age, but I don't want to give him too much and make him fat IYSWIM?
What sort of time does anyone else put their 1yo to bed - is 7pm ok?
Just a bit p*ed off that this "phase" has lasted 7 months!grin

ches Thu 06-Aug-09 02:51:47

My money is on the awful molars making themselves known. We went through 6 months of hell between molars and canines. Waking 4 times a night was a gift from above; it was usually more like every sleep cycle.

blondissimo Thu 06-Aug-09 09:00:03

Oh god ches what a nightmare - you must have been shattered.
I gave him calpol last night and a big dinner and he slept better, but it was very hot here last night too so who knows which, if any, of these things was the solution!
His gums do look very bumpy and he has been gnawing a lot so perhaps you are right?

hayleybop Thu 06-Aug-09 21:21:50

It's just a phaze and will pass...eventually..My DD1 who is now 2.5 was always a bad sleeper and it's hard work getting up in the middle of the night to do your 'night shift'.
Teething I reackon is the answer, think my DD has all her teeth now!!! and is a brilliant sleeper...Now I have to do it all again with my 9 month DD2hmm!!!

blondissimo Fri 07-Aug-09 08:44:53

smile hayleybop - I am wondering whether or not to try for dc2 and get all the sleepless nights out of the way now!
I am one of those people that was under the misguided illusion that all children slept through the night by 6 months hmm..................grin

Gargula Fri 07-Aug-09 13:22:28

Hi,
My son did something very similar to this, sleeping through at around 4 months and then from 7 months that all stopped and he was up 4/5 times a night.
We figured that he was just lonely and wanting company so our solution was to bring him into our bed as soon as he waked. Wouldn't work for all i'm sure but it worked for us.
Then, at around 16 months he just started self-settling and going through the night. We've only had the odd night of disturbed sleep since then (he's now 20 months).
So basically it was nothing we did, just a phase he passed through.
I'm now waiting for the nightmares and night terrors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now