Talk

Advanced search

Tonight we are going cold turkey, and I need some support.

(15 Posts)
5inthebed Mon 03-Aug-09 21:53:12

DS3 is 8 months old, and still waking for a bottle 1-2 times a night. Enough is enough, and I am making him go cold turkey as of tonight.

He is back in my room (as not to wake DS1), went down fine after some weetabix and a bottle (went to bed awake) and we are set to go. He has had loads to eat today, he has a great healthy appetite, so I know he isn't hungry.

Dreading the next few nights! Can you all please give me some support, I need to do this and not give in!

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Mon 03-Aug-09 21:56:28

I wouldn't bother at all

If you find yourself with a 2.6 year old still waking every 2 to 3 hours then I would think you may want to start working towards something different but not at 8 months

If he is a hungry boy then why cant he be hungry in the night?

Go with it, things will change

Seona1973 Mon 03-Aug-09 21:58:25

my ds gave up his night feed around 8 months but I did gently encourage it from 6 months by gradually offering less and less in the bottle.

5inthebed Mon 03-Aug-09 22:04:20

DS2 has SN and know has melatonin to sleep, so I am used to having sleepless nights. DS1+2 slept through from 8/9 weeks though. I know every baby is different, but really, this is starting to affect me. He has slept through a couple of times, so I now he is capable of doing it.

I'm not saying he can't be hungry at night. I'll see how it goes anyway.

micromum Mon 03-Aug-09 22:13:58

Good Luck,

Let us know how you get on. I'm in the same situation, my little one is 11 months and still not sleeping through can be anything from 1-4 wakings in the night.

Stay strong and try an keep calm. It can only get better !! grin

When i get enough energy i'll be doing the same.

Good Luck you have nothing to lose !!

SemperEadem Mon 03-Aug-09 22:16:28

I agree. Not being critical (honestly) but 8 months is still very young. But then again, I have a 2.4 year old who still wakes for a bottle at 4 in the morning so what do I know hmm

5inthebed Mon 03-Aug-09 22:28:37

The thing is, I have done the whole controlled crying with ds1+2 (not when they were 8/9 weeks I hasten to add), so I know I am capable of doing it. However, with ds3, I am finding I am more softer on him, and give in too easily. Maybe it is because he will be my (possible) last?

nicewarmslippers Tue 04-Aug-09 15:00:45

I am in excatly this situation with my ds 10 months (in fact just posted about it). I know going in to settle witbhout a boob doesn't work so am bracing myself for leaving him to cry. I do wonder though what other parents who have tried this approach have thought with hundsight-was it the right thing to do?

Because on one hand I am very aware how little he is and if he is going to stop soon I could just go with it BUT I am so much nicer on days I have had more sleep. Who knows what is right, if we do it with love and consistenoy it can't do much harm?

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 17:58:03

With my first two, they slept through from 8/9 weeks, and about 6 months, they woke up in the night. I never gave in and left them to it, only picking them up, giving them a cuddle and putting them back down.

With DS3 I have been so different!

Anyway, last night, he woke at 4am, which that itself is odd as he usually wakes at 12/1 and then again at 3 shock. I done the whole "pick up/cuddle/put down" and he settled back down until half 6. My DH was getting up for work, so got him up and gave him a bottle. DH put him back to bed at 7 and before I knew it, it was 10am! I am hoping he will be ok tonight, but who knows. I've a feeling last night was a one off.

Nicewarmslippers, would your ds take a dummy?

nicewarmslippers Tue 04-Aug-09 20:31:47

Hi 5 in the bed

ds has never had a dummy, I very much duobt he would for the first time at this age but I guess we could try (though am loath to as don't weant him getting dependent on that and then having to go in and find it for him if he looses it!)

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 20:39:59

Its strange, my first two had them but DS3 won't entertain one. He doesn't need one either, as he is easy to settle (and I never thought I'd be able to sotth a child without one blush).

I'm only suggesting a dunny as it might stop her wanting to fall asleep on the breast. No point trying one if you don't want to though smile

PrincessToadstool Tue 04-Aug-09 20:43:21

Aw, but they are all different aren't they 5inthebed?

I'd say it's worth a shot but if he really is hungry (and not waking from habit) then what?

I tried to stop night-feeds with my DS twice, at 12 month and 14 months. It was too stressful so I carried on until he did it by himself - thankfully at 18 months.

Good luck though as I don't look back at those sleep-deprived days with much fondness, I am much happier since I started sleeping through!

PrincessToadstool Tue 04-Aug-09 20:44:22

Oops, totally missed that this was yesterday blush

Hope he keeps it up

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 20:47:54

If he really is hungry (which I doubt he is), then I will continue with the feeds.

He went down fine again, so lets hope he stays that way smile

5inthebed Mon 10-Aug-09 10:17:21

Just an update...

Tuesday and Wednesday he woke at 3 and cried on and off for an hour, me picking him up and putting him down until he finally went to sleep until 7ish.

Thursday night was a nightmare, by far the worse. He woke at half 11 and didn't settle back to sleep until 1. Woke again at 2 and I caved in and gave him a bottle at 4, slept til 7 after that.

Friday night he woke at 4, settled back within 10 minutes and woke at quarter to 6 (yawn) fresh as a daisy.

Saturday night and Sunday night he slept through from half 7 smile

I do hope this is it! I don't mind the early starts if it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now