Talk

Advanced search

HELP! - 16week old suddenly waking every 1.5/2 hours at night & no more than 45 min. naps

(2 Posts)
elk4baby Mon 03-Aug-09 16:20:37

Hi,

I've written on here before asking for advice on the short naps - I still can't get more than 45 min. from DS.

Now, for the past 4 nights he started waking every 1.5 to 2 hours and then every hour towards the morning.
He goes down at night (always with a fight - very actively resists sleeping, at naps too), sleeps for 45min to an hour. I go in and give him his dummy, he sucks for a few min. and falls asleep. I have tried getting back to sleep without it, but this takes ages longer and doesn't affect the length he sleeps after. I put him down without it the first time though - bath, massage and feed (falls asleep with the breast in his mouth sometimes, but I try my best to make sure he doesn't and settle him otherwise). After this first hour he usually slept for 5/6 hours (aaah, bliss), but now he wakes 2 or 2.5 hours later and then 1 or 1.5 and then 1 more and 1 more... naturally, after such a night he's grumpy and tired .
And what's worse is that he doesn't nap for longer stretches in the day after such a night.

I have tried feeding him more during the day (almost every 2hours), but that didn't change anything . I have also tried the Baby Whisperer's suggestion of trying to move him to a 4-hour routine (we've been roughly following the EASY routine since about 6 weeks), but that didn't have an effect either (yet?! hmm).

I'm out of ideas as to what's waking him. Any suggestions?! PLEASE HELP! I feel like I've had a bad hangover for the past few days.

Hulla Mon 03-Aug-09 17:09:35

sorry for short post - dd napping on my other arm.

Sounds like 4 month growth spurt, my dd did it too and it was hell!

It passes but it is hard. You're more disciplined than me, I just let dd suckle to sleep, don't bother with routine (anymore) and threw BW away! [anything for an easy life emoticon].

It was at this point we started co-sleeping to cope and I took naps with dd too.

Have a look for the 4 month sleep thread - this is very common. It was full of ideas and support.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now