Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

goi goi pillow for flat head

(14 Posts)
Carameli Mon 03-Aug-09 07:12:07

ds2 has a flat side of his head as he prefers to lie that way and nothing can seem to change him on this. HAve tried toys in cot, rolling on towels to position him the other way(gets really annoyed).
He has lots and lots of tummy time but it still seems to be the same and he is 14wks now so I dont want to leave it too long before trying to do something about it.
All the hv I have spoken to have said 'oh it will sort itself out But I have also seen older children with flat sides that have not got any better.

Someone mentioned thi goi goi pillow to me. Has anyone used one. I was thinknig of getting one for his pram and day time. I feel a bit nervous about using one at night, cot death etc etc.

Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom here?

Have you spoken to your gp?

I don't know how flat it has to be, but both of my friends dd's had this and were fitted with little 'space helmet' things for about 6 months which somehow magically re-rounded their heads.

Sorry, the facts area little shaky, she is not a friend I see that often, but it still may be worth seeing someonesmile.

Picante Mon 03-Aug-09 07:18:54

Yes I had one with ds1 with recommendation from my osteopath. It worked a dream and is completely safe - i think most babies in Sweden are put on their side to sleep!

Anyhow get one asap they are amazing. I'm going to use it again with number 2 whether or not she's got a flat head.

Don't listen to gps. Go and see a cranial osteopath.

Good luck.

Picante Mon 03-Aug-09 07:20:09

He won't need a helmet if you see an osteopath and get a pillow.

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-09 07:24:19

Carry him in a sling rather than a pram or carseat and minimise time spent in a bouncy chair thing.

Both DSs had minor flattening at the back of their heads (which sorted itself) DD was carried mainly in a sling and spent minimal time in anything else and the cranial osteopath commented on what a beautiful shaped head she had.

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-09 07:24:59

By a sling, I mean something stretchy like a fleece pouch.

seeker Mon 03-Aug-09 07:27:00

But please be careful. Almost without exception flat-head sorts itself out as they grow, but there are people very willing to sell you expensive products to 'cure" it.

Carameli Mon 03-Aug-09 07:40:10

have not seen my gp yet, that is my next port of call. Think I will go with the pillow for day time for now at least. That way I can keep and eye on him and get him in his sling during the day as much as poss.

Seona1973 Mon 03-Aug-09 08:39:36

I used a goi goi pillow from when ds was a few weeks old. It definitely helped. I used it for day and night time sleeps. I got mine from here

Carameli Mon 03-Aug-09 09:03:26

did you get one of each or just the big one?

Picante Mon 03-Aug-09 09:05:34

Seeker I have to disagree with you. Flat heads can cause problems later on. The sooner they are fixed the better. Seriously Carameli a trip to the gp will be a complete waste of time.

The pillows are completely safe.

angel1976 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:25:22

Carameli - Is it on one side or the back of his head? The only reason I asked is that from birth, DS had a tendency to turn to one side and because of that he developed a flat head on one side quite severely. We were told it would sort itself out etc before in frustration, we took him to a private paed and he was diagnosed with torticollis and he had physio. The physio helped a great deal (he was 4 months at that time). He was finally 'discharged' at 11 months old. At 17 months now, you can still see there is a slight tilt to his head and his head is still flatter on one side but definitely much improved.

angel1976 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:25:56

BTW, we got him a goi goi pillow and it didn't really help much...

seeker Tue 04-Aug-09 07:44:19

"Flat heads can cause problems later on." What problems?

There are babies who have a condition that causes the bones of their skulls to fuse too early can have problems later on. As far as I am aware, positional plagiocephaly (which is what we are talking about here is an entirely cosmetic issue and has no associated medical concerns at all. And that in the vast majority of cases, it sorts itself out with vigilant positioning, tummy time and using a sling as much as possible.

I am always sceptical if I google a "problem" and the first page and a half that comes up are all sites trying to sell me something...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now