Talk

Advanced search

20 week old waking 5-6 times a night :-(

(6 Posts)
RunJHC Fri 31-Jul-09 06:56:23

Hi just wondered if anyone had had similar experience to what's happening with us at the moment.

DS is 20 weeks and has started in the past week waking 5-6 times a night. He's recently gone into his own room and for the first few nights he slept amazingly well from 8pm-7am with a dream feed at 11. But now he wakes up about 2.30am and then just keeps waking every 30 mins/an hour until 6.30/7am when I just give in and get up. I'm pretty sure he's not hungry because he settles easily again i.e. I go into his room put the dummy back in and he goes back to sleep - but it's like he doesn't get into a deep sleep so keeps waking up. I've tried feeding him, changing him but it still happens.

The only thing I can think of that is different is that he's just learnt to roll over so he is sleeping on his side/his front/across the cot, so could that be connected?

Am hoping it's just one of those phases but am feeling increasingly knackered now so would welcome any advice!

Seona1973 Fri 31-Jul-09 10:04:45

it could be the dummy that is the problem i.e. when it falls out he wakes up and as he cant put it back in he has to cry for you to do it for him. I took the dummy away from my ds at around this age as I got fed up getting up to put it back in. He slept much better after that (after a few disturbed nights)

magsthatch Fri 31-Jul-09 21:25:45

Hi, sorry to hijack but Seona how did you take the dummy away - did you do CC or soothe to sleep another way? Just I am having a similar problem to OP but my only attempt at trying to settle without the dummy was truly horrendous, so interested to hear other people's experiences of dummy weaning

ches Sat 01-Aug-09 07:14:46

Dummies reduce the risk of SIDS because they make the baby sleep lighter. It could, however, be hunger, because 20 weeks is still within the "around 4 months" growth spurt.

dcgc Sun 02-Aug-09 19:59:56

Just a thought, but when my DS does this I have found when I pick him up he does a burp...could be trapped wind? Once it's out he settles back to sleep straight away. HTH.

cyteen Sun 02-Aug-09 20:07:45

My DS went through a period of waking up every 2 hours at around this age <yawn> It was extremely hard work but it did pass. I put it down to a massive developmental spurt - he changed so much over that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now