Talk

Advanced search

Cot climber - how do I contain him?

(25 Posts)
peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 19:36:40

DS has started climbing out of his cot. Today he just wont go in it. Im putting him in, he is getting straight out as soon as I leave the room!

He isnt even 2 until september but is quite a big boy so seems to have the physical ability before the understanding of having to stay in bed all night.

What do I do!>?

giraffeski Mon 23-May-05 19:37:52

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 19:38:01

time for a bed I'm afraid

giraffeski Mon 23-May-05 19:38:09

Message withdrawn

Donbean Mon 23-May-05 19:38:16

Big boy bed i am afraid......
Stair gates on bedroom door...bite the bullet, good luck

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 19:38:23

or you could nail chicken wire to the top of the cot I suppose

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 19:38:35

like a rabbit run SNURK

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 19:39:31

Thats the thing though he is quite a young 20 month old. Doesnt have brilliant communication (he is a little deaf too so speach not that good either).

I thought he would need to be a bit more wise to the rules to be in a big boy bed.

If he can climb a cot cant he also climb a stairgate?

Nemo1977 Mon 23-May-05 19:40:48

oyu dont u move him to a bed and put a gate on his room. ds was like that at 11mths so conceded defeat at 12mths.

giraffeski Mon 23-May-05 19:42:12

Message withdrawn

LIZS Mon 23-May-05 19:46:46

What if you don't give him attention for it - so pick him up and just put him back. Could it be the novelty of being able to do it ? If that does n't work can you find a way for him to make a safer exit, such as removing one side, putting something for a soft landing or lowering the dropside to a bed guard type level then you could raise it whilst he is asleep. dd was able to get out of a travel cot at this age but we didn't take the side off her cot for another few months.

gingernut Mon 23-May-05 19:47:28

We put a gate on ds's room once he was in a bed (due to cot climbing too, although he was a bit older than your ds). He didn't try to climb it till much later. We got one of the travel gates which may be a bit harder to get a toe hold on although he could still try to vault it I suppose (or climb up to it using something else as a step - so you have to remove things like that from his room).

I think you definitey have to put him in a bed for his own safety. If you have to keep putting him back into it, then that's just what you have to do I'm afraid. Don't give him any attention for getting up (good or bad attention) and he will get bored eventually.

Kittypickle Mon 23-May-05 20:04:18

NO Don't say that, you're ruining my night, you know full well that my DS copies yours with a two week delay Sorry, no constructive advice whatsoever and I'm off to the gin bottle to drown my sorrows in anticipation.

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 20:14:37

Oh this is a bloody nightmare

He has been out about 11 times

So I decided to put his sleeping bag back on him and sit with him til he went off to sleep.

He was drifting off so I left him

I was downstairs and heard huge crash and he had fallen out this time

He is up there crying now - matter of time before he tries it again

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 20:17:10

This is the worst night he could have chosen for this

I have turned the house downstairs upside down sorting loads of stuff out so everything is out and needing sorting

I am never going to get it done at this rate

DP is doing his Masters Degree exam as we speak and I was planning on having house all lovely and meal cooked to celebrate

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 20:21:36

Sh*t, think he has a black eye from last fall. Just gone back in to check on him and he was hovering of the side of the cot after ripping his sleeping bag off

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 20:39:10

you don't like the chicken wire idea then??

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 20:47:19

I hadnt noticed that suggestion twiglett - anyone got a staple gun I could borrow? might just staple him to the mattress by the outline of his PJ's

I have officially lost control over the household.

Just caught him jumping into bed with his older sister who insists she can "cope" with him and will read him a story

peckarollover Mon 23-May-05 20:47:44

He is normally sound asleep by 7.30 at very latest! Its ten to bloody nine

elibelly Mon 23-May-05 20:59:15

get him a bed.... dd was the same, 19 months and she was out of the cot all the time. Seemed more settled when we got her a bed.

DS is the same age as your ds, 2 in Sept, seems to love his cot, can climb up anything but never even attempted to get out of bed so I'm happy to leave him there

elibelly Mon 23-May-05 21:15:35

a friend's son broke his arm from cot clambering antics, you could take the mattress out and put it on the floor as a temporary measure before getting a bed to make it safe for him

sarahhal Fri 03-Jun-05 07:43:59

We had this problem with DS at a similar age and I found some great advice on here (sorry can't do the link thing!!) If he has a sleeping bag, try zipping him in it backwards eg so zip is at back not front so that he can't get out of it and get his leg out of the cot. It has worked brilliantly for us for months now, but I'm starting to think that soon he may start going head and tummy first to escape!

If you are really worried about his safety, then the mattress on the floor seems a good idea. Good luck!!

wordsmith Fri 03-Jun-05 07:50:55

bed bed bed bed bed!!!!

emily05 Fri 03-Jun-05 08:45:56

havent read all of answers but I think that perhaps you should consider a starter bed.

If you do decide to stick with the cot - when ds fell out of his cot we invested in some gym style mats and put them around the bottom to take the impact out if he fell again. They were great and we use them under his slide now.

Fran1 Fri 03-Jun-05 08:55:18

I moved dd to matress on the floor at 15mths after one nasty climbing out incident (fell headfirst onto bare floorboards).

She loved it as she felt special and grown up and bedtimes became a whole lot easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now