Talk

Advanced search

Help - its all gone wrong and I need more sleep!

(17 Posts)
phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 21:27:22

DD is 6months old, have just started to wean her in the last few weeks. Started nice an slowly and had good fun with her making a mess with food, she continued to sleep well at nap time and at night.

Now though, after a few days with a bit more than before at dinner time she has stopped sleeping. Its now a fight to get her to sleep at all and she is waking in the night. I don't think she is hungry and doesn't really take the boob if offered, it seems that she just doesn't want to sleep-at all!!

So... is this because we are weaning? Is it just a normal 6 month thing (reading Baby Whisperer suggests it might be linked to the 6 month developmental stage)?? What do I do??

If its relevant, she had a bad cold last week and is still a bit snuffly after that. She slept well whilst poorly though, I just put her mattress up on an angle and she slept fine.

Any ideas gratefully received, I'm exhausted and getting very close to the end of my tether!

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:28:49

I wouldn't expect a 6 mnoth old breastfed baby to sleep all night.

phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 21:44:45

Moondog She has been though, she has been doing 7pm-7am since 9 wks old, with a dreamfeed at 10pm. Its all gone wrong now though.

SazzlesA Thu 30-Jul-09 21:48:33

Message withdrawn

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:48:43

Well maybe you had a lucky run.
I didn't even think about unbroekn nights until about 11 months.

phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 21:54:04

Moondog It was no luck, countless hours were spent with Baby Whisperer sshh-patting until she learnt to sleep!! The thought of all that hard work wasted is too awful I can tell you! I miss my sleep!

Sazzles It could be teeth, she is very chompy at the moment, chewing on everything, has the rivers of dribble and red cheeks thing going on. I assumed if teeth were hurting that she would be grumpy all the time, not just when trying to put her down IYSWIM. I could try some teething gel before bed though and see if that helps maybe. I suppose it could just be bad luck if its coincided with the weaning.

SazzlesA Thu 30-Jul-09 21:58:18

Message withdrawn

phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 22:03:27

I might try to get some of them tomorrow then and give them a go. Shes in beed at the moment but is waking every half hour. Think its going to be a very long night.

Should I carry on with the weaning do you think?

It might be TMI but her poo has gone far more solid since this not sleeping thing started. It was runny still like a newborns, but now its like a paste, much dryer and more solid. Do you know if thats normal when they start to wean? She is still having all her milk feeds in the day, they haven't really reduced at all yet so she should be getting enough liquid. Plus she has a sippy cup at lunch with some water in, though I think she jsut likes to play with it and probably doesn't drink any of it really.

phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 22:06:17

Sazzles - I just had a look at your profile and I got married in Aug 05 too and my dress looks just like yours!

SazzlesA Thu 30-Jul-09 22:09:24

Message withdrawn

phishfood Thu 30-Jul-09 22:18:09

Thanks

13lucky Fri 31-Jul-09 10:58:26

Just to add - the nappies being a bit firmer is quite normal when you introduce solid food...just make sure she's still drinking enough as well just to be sure. My ds is also waking a lot in the night (every hour last night!!), having previusly slept through. It's a killer and I sympathise greatly. I'm holding out hope that it is teething as at least there may be an end in sight eventually and he may sleep again one day??! Good luck.

phishfood Fri 31-Jul-09 11:18:38

Thanks 13, its quite a shock after being used to her sleeping. Lets hope it is just teething!!

Umlellala Fri 31-Jul-09 11:24:39

Tbh it's why I couldn't be bothered even thinking about sleep training this time around til at least a year. I found with dd that everytime I thought I knew what was going on, she'd be teething/ill/learn something knew/full mooon, and it'd all go crazy.

Easier, more effective, (and kinder IMO) to start 'sleep training' when they start to understand what is happening. Mind you, am rubbish at the consistency thing so dd does still occasionally every night wake and come into us and I don't really care

All I know is that it has been sooooo much more chilled having ds in bed and just feeding a couple of times in the night! (Am now about to start weaning him off boob and there's another story... grin)

Good luck and enjoy your lovely baby

phishfood Fri 31-Jul-09 11:57:10

Umlellela I think I'm a different personallity type to you!! I need routine and structure, and I think DD does too. She really thrived once we were in a good routine.

I haven't ever done controlled crying, only Baby Whisperer ssh-pat but don't think I've done anything unkind.

I guess its just one of those things, once you've cracked one thing something happens and throws you off again! I'm sure we'll get there though.

Actually, she slept OK lastnight, but this mornings nap was a bit sketchy. I'm hoping she will settle down again soon. She is so much happier in herself when she is well rested, I don't want her to be grumpy!

Umlellala Fri 31-Jul-09 12:11:26

lol, I meant kinder to YOU really! Do agree, perhaps different things make us happier and chilled - I sleep best with my babies by my side but I know a lot of people don't. I never could be arsed with the ssh pat/carefully helping them self-settle settle rather than feeding them, but impressed with those who have the ability to see a long-term view smile

Anyway, of course, you must do what feels right to you but don't panic if you think it's all going crazy. You/She will learn a new routine very quickly before it all changes again. I just remember it so well from dd and ds's first year (which I can't believe has passed by already, so quickly).

Wish you the best of luck and lots of sleep grin

conway Sat 01-Aug-09 14:01:24

Need more sleep. My three year old has woken up most nights for about 18 months now. I am so exhausted and have an 8 year old and try to work part time. He just walks into our bedroom and then I get up and put him back to bed and he goes to sleep again, sometimes he may wake up again. My husband never wakes up.
I have tried rewarding for staying in bed but hasn't worked for 2 weeks. If we are on holiday he sleeps o.k if he is with his brother.
Really need help as effecting my life and ths school holidays with my older son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now